House White Noise Sweeps?

Post Midis, project files, samples, stems, here. Also great place to request collaboration or specific files/sounds.

House White Noise Sweeps?

Postby Twilight Enigma » 07 May 2012 17:23

I know this might sound kinda noobish, but whatever. Basically, whenever I try to make those white noise sweep-things that are often use on House styles, they always end up sucking a lot. So actually, does anyone have any good samples of those kinda thingies?
Twilight Enigma

Re: House White Noise Sweeps?

Postby Decmaster IX » 07 May 2012 18:32

I can't provide samples, but I can provide some insight onto how to get them to sound awesome.

First off, I hope you have Massive. Because that's how I make mine. First, go to Massive, and turn off ALL Oscillators. Second, set the NOISE on Color and turn everything up all the way, and route it to Filter 1. Then, open Filter 1, and set it to a Lowpass 4. Route it all the way up, route the Mix all the way up, and route the F2 all the way down. Set the Cutoff up a little bit, and turn the resonance all the way down. Set a Chorus under the FX, and keep everything at 12 o'clock except for the Dry/Wet, which is all the way down. Then, turn on the EQ and set both the Low Shelf and High Shelf down to 11 o'clock.

Now, the tricky part. Turn on Macro 1 and name it whatever you want. Set it to the first slot under Cutoff and Resonance under the Lowpass filter. Turn the yellow bar up all the way on the cutoff and to about 11 o'clock on the Resonance. Next, set it to the first slot under Dry/Wet on the Chorus FX and set the yellow bar up to about 10 o'clock. Then, finally, go to your EQ. Set it to the first slot under the Low Shelf and High Shelf. Set the yellow bar to 10 o'clock on the Low Shelf and 2 o'clock on the High Shelf.

Now, are you done with all that? Good. Now, whenever you use the note in your song (play around with octaves on the actual song until you find something you like – I usually use the C1-C2 range) gradually turn Macro 1 up – I find that from .18 to .90 in your automation works great. Make sure to resolve it though, if you build it up, give it a few measures to come down back to .18, otherwise it will sound as if you didn't resolve it.

Now, here's another trick they don't teach you. Sidechain it. If you don't know what Sidechaining is, it's when you link a track (usually a bassline, but I like it on the white noise) to the kick pattern you have. Or, often, you'll set a set of silent kicks (DO NOT lower the volume, set the track to "No Output") running each beat throughout the song to Sidechain just for that. This will get the feeling that the white noise is "pulsing," like you'll hear in some songs now days.

Hope I helped!
You can just call me Decmaster.
My DAW: Logic Pro 9
My Soundcloud
My YouTube account
Rainbow and REJECTED
Decmaster IX

Postby Twilight Enigma » 07 May 2012 19:48

Decmaster IX wrote:I can't provide samples, but I can provide some insight onto how to get them to sound awesome.

First off, I hope you have Massive. Because that's how I make mine. First, go to Massive, and turn off ALL Oscillators. Second, set the NOISE on Color and turn everything up all the way, and route it to Filter 1. Then, open Filter 1, and set it to a Lowpass 4. Route it all the way up, route the Mix all the way up, and route the F2 all the way down. Set the Cutoff up a little bit, and turn the resonance all the way down. Set a Chorus under the FX, and keep everything at 12 o'clock except for the Dry/Wet, which is all the way down. Then, turn on the EQ and set both the Low Shelf and High Shelf down to 11 o'clock.

Now, the tricky part. Turn on Macro 1 and name it whatever you want. Set it to the first slot under Cutoff and Resonance under the Lowpass filter. Turn the yellow bar up all the way on the cutoff and to about 11 o'clock on the Resonance. Next, set it to the first slot under Dry/Wet on the Chorus FX and set the yellow bar up to about 10 o'clock. Then, finally, go to your EQ. Set it to the first slot under the Low Shelf and High Shelf. Set the yellow bar to 10 o'clock on the Low Shelf and 2 o'clock on the High Shelf.

Now, are you done with all that? Good. Now, whenever you use the note in your song (play around with octaves on the actual song until you find something you like – I usually use the C1-C2 range) gradually turn Macro 1 up – I find that from .18 to .90 in your automation works great. Make sure to resolve it though, if you build it up, give it a few measures to come down back to .18, otherwise it will sound as if you didn't resolve it.

Now, here's another trick they don't teach you. Sidechain it. If you don't know what Sidechaining is, it's when you link a track (usually a bassline, but I like it on the white noise) to the kick pattern you have. Or, often, you'll set a set of silent kicks (DO NOT lower the volume, set the track to "No Output") running each beat throughout the song to Sidechain just for that. This will get the feeling that the white noise is "pulsing," like you'll hear in some songs now days.

Hope I helped!

Well I just tried this out and well thanks for the advice. Personally I was able to get it sounding a bit better by adding a somewhat heavy reverb to it. Still, thanks for the advice!
Twilight Enigma

Postby Versilaryan » 07 May 2012 20:39

I usually just use white noise, highpass it so there isn't anything mucking up the basses, and then use a regular lowpass (or sometimes bandpass) filter with a little resonance. Simple seems to work fine for me.

Sidechaining is pretty important, though, especially if you use prominent cymbals. Sometimes, if it's a problem, I'll sidechain the snare and/or crash cymbal to the white noise so they can actually be heard.

If you're just doing house music, sidechaining to the kick will work just fine.
Versilaryan

Postby Stars In Autumn » 08 May 2012 02:49

I bandpass it to the upper mid range and then highpass the whole thing with the highest threshold. I add a lot of reverb with a long decay. Then, yeah, just automate the HP threashold to pass down. It's really experimenting with filters and the noise.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Spirit » 20 May 2012 00:34

Bigup the bandpass sweeped white noise :lol:
As has been said, its just experimenting with filters and noise, although heavy reverb helps keep everything in check
Also sidechain if you want that classic house "pumping" effect
http://soundcloud.com/mexztah <-- Tunes wot i have made up
Currently working on/ideas: Nothing ATM
System sound for system people
Spirit

Postby soup2504 » 20 May 2012 13:09

I just go to 3xosc, turn each oscillator to the white noise one, put it in a free mixer track, put fruity free filter on it, turn frequency down to about 125, then right click the frequency knob and create an automation clip, and have it go whichever direction I want.

And you can add other stuff to it to make it sound better, so yeah.
soup2504

Postby ArtAttack » 22 May 2012 06:47

Personally, I just get samples, but yeah, sidechaining is super-important with whitenoise. otherwise it's just PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby Dabrenn » 22 May 2012 19:44

I use Operator in Ableton and a Bandpass filter.

Operator has an awesome white noise preset and you can reverb, expand, or whatever it to your heart's content.
Dabrenn

Postby metroponytan » 29 May 2012 23:09

I have a samples library I got from a friend that contains whole folders of this exact kind of sound effect, along with a slew of raw waveforms and drum samples and breakbeats -- but it's kind of large to share over the web. Is there a way for me to pass it to everyone that's convenient? We're talking 4 gigs here.
metroponytan

Return to Sharing is Magic