Made a kick drum.

Post Midis, project files, samples, stems, here. Also great place to request collaboration or specific files/sounds.

Made a kick drum.

Postby GumsOfGabby » 13 Oct 2012 09:41

http://soundcloud.com/gums-of-gabby/free-kick-drum-samples

You can download a kick drum I decided to make for free. I think it turned out quite well. It sounds very clean (by my standards) and is probably most suitable for dubstep, drum and bass and house.

The first one is the raw, unprocessed kick. The following 2 have just been lightly EQd and compressed differently.

Hope you like them! I think I might be making some more. If you have any suggestions for a type of kick you're after, leave a comment or PM me!

Thanks

EDIT: Download separate .wav files here: http://www.mediafire.com/?k1hk9wb6qx2krv7
Last edited by GumsOfGabby on 13 Oct 2012 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
Youtube | Soundcloud

FL/Massive noob

Need a bit of feedback? Don't be shy to send me a PM along with your sample.
GumsOfGabby

Re: Made a kick drum.

Postby Icky » 13 Oct 2012 10:26

pretty solid kick, would sound great when layered in with a more snappy kick. Thanks mate!
Icky

Postby the4thImpulse » 13 Oct 2012 10:31

They sound really good, I may even use the unaltered version in my music (of course with a lot more processing stuff for my taste).

When sharing samples it will be best if you separate them into the individual hits; raw, compressed, eq'd ect.. and upload them to a file sharing site other than soundcloud with a very high quality wav or other file type.

I'm curious to know what you used to make it if you don't mind sharing.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby GumsOfGabby » 13 Oct 2012 11:29

Icky wrote:pretty solid kick, would sound great when layered in with a more snappy kick. Thanks mate!

No problem, Icky :D

the4thImpulse wrote:They sound really good, I may even use the unaltered version in my music (of course with a lot more processing stuff for my taste).

When sharing samples it will be best if you separate them into the individual hits; raw, compressed, eq'd ect.. and upload them to a file sharing site other than soundcloud with a very high quality wav or other file type.

I'm curious to know what you used to make it if you don't mind sharing.

How could I have forgotten (doh!), just added the link to the OP.

Glad you like them! Um, the way I did it was using a sine wave in massive. I modulated the pitch with an envelope to go up and then down (two octaves). The settings were a very, very, VERY short attack (the lowest setting above 0), a relatively quick decay (10 o'clock-ish) and sustain all the way down. I would post screenshots of the envelopes for you to see, but I didn't save the project :/

The master amp envelope was a bit tricky. The attack was as before but a bit slower, decay almost the same, then the sustain set to about 5% with the release set to (10 o'clock-ish). I just tried to copy other kicks while sticking to the kind of kick that I wanted to get out of this. Most kicks tail out, hence the sustain and release on the master amp envelope. I'd never thought about that before, that's the step I'd been missing for a while...

I also added a tiny amount of distortion to the sine wave (heaps of distortion makes it sound like a hardstyle kick :3). I layered it with some white noise from 3xOsc (FL native VST) which I high passed ~350Hz and low passed ~2000Hz, and also layered with a high hat which I liked the sound of (boosted the frequencies at ~2000Hz by a good 12dB).

After that I'd gathered all of the ingredients, it was a matter of adjusting the levels of each part to taste as well as tirelessly fiddling with Massive's envelopes over and over again until it sounded right ;)
Youtube | Soundcloud

FL/Massive noob

GumsOfGabby

Postby GumsOfGabby » 20 Nov 2012 09:51

http://soundcloud.com/gums-of-gabby/kick-see-description

I suppose I forgot to post this. Have a pack of them which I will be releasing in the next couple of days. Sorry to resurrect this dead post. Didn't want to make a brand new thread for this little update.
Youtube | Soundcloud

FL/Massive noob

GumsOfGabby

Postby Anorax » 20 Nov 2012 21:45

I really like your kicks. <3

I'm glad you updated this or else i wouldn't have seen it, thanks!
DAW: Mixcraft 6
3rd Party VSTs: Alien 303 Bass Synthesizer, Various Angular Momentum Products, Artemis, Combo Organ Models V+F, Daedalus, iloSynth1, Impuse, Messiah, MinimogueVA, oxytocin, P8, various Togu Audio Line products, Synth1, TS-Substance, VB3 Organ
Youtube
Soundcloud
Anorax

Return to Sharing is Magic