Mega-MLR Charity Album & Smile : A Christmas charity Fund

Current events we're participating in.

Mega-MLR Charity Album & Smile : A Christmas charity Fund

Postby Senator Myth » 28 Nov 2011 15:51

Please read the updated information on page 3
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=989&p=11313#p11313

THE PITCH

Hey guys, let's make some music and do some good. The idea is pretty simple: make an album with an original (and exclusive!) song or two from each Brony musician who would like to contribute, put that album up on Bandcamp for a modest amount (3-5 dollars I'd say), advertise, and then donate all the money we earn to a charity.

SOME DETAILS

No music that uses anyone else's intellectual property is allowed. I would prefer to just say a blanket "no pony music", since this should be viewed as an opportunity to show off your creativity. Do what you want, not what you think has to fit into a certain definition! Make a song that shows off the best of your musical style and ability.

If we get tons and tons of entries (20+), we will likely split it up into different volumes. Of course we'd distribute it so that the most popular musicians' songs are all on separate volumes to motivate people to buy them. Hehehe.

There will be a vetting process for quality. We don't want to try to sell a bunch of troll songs for charity; we want to create high-quality songs with a lot of work put into them. Sure they can probably be funny or whatever, but they can't be shit. Unlike the Remix War and the Toastbeard, this isn't for us. This is for other people, and it's important to show off MLR in a good light.

I don't think there should be a unifying theme, least of all Christmas or whatever. I'd like it to just be "make that awesome song you've been wanting to make for a while but didn't think people would care about because it wasn't pony," or something like that. Let this album have a wide variety of genres, styles, and subject matter. But if someone can think up a good "theme" that allows for such a degree of freedom, then propose it!

LOGISTICS

Of course, we need someone to set up and manage the Bandcamp. Since this person will potentially be handling quite a bit of money, they should be pretty damn trustworthy. It probably should not be me. We also need a small team of people willing to vet submitted songs for quality and appropriateness, as well as give feedback to those rejected, organize the tracklists of the albums, etc.

Maybe we could use the same system that's already in place for the Remix War, in terms of handling submissions? I don't know.

Fuckin' artists. I know some of you are amazing artists, and once we have decided on a name and such for this album, I'm sure we won't have trouble finding some amazing artists in this community. But still, mention it in this thread if you think you've got what it takes.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I think we should stick with a name relatively related to the idea of "generosity". I kind of like the idea of Sorrowful Serpent, but that's just a nice starting point. Feel free to debate that in the thread as well.

Again, this is your opportunity to really show off your stuff. If this project is successful, your work will quite possibly reach a wider audience than it got before. Don't make shit. Make something that'll make people say "Oh wow that's awesome I need to check this guy/girl/ponylol out, see what else they've done."

I think Interro Bang Pie mentioned an idea like this months ago, but I haven't heard anything about it since. If anyone else wants to take credit for this idea, go ahead. I just wanted to take the first step towards its completion, cause this shit'll be awesome and fun if we can pull it off.

So what do you think?
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Re: Mega-MLR Charity Album

Postby bartekko » 28 Nov 2011 15:57

SO MUCH EEEEEEYUP
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Mundius » 28 Nov 2011 16:11

I have a good idea, already.
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Interrobang Pie » 28 Nov 2011 16:20

Yeah, I mentioned this a while back. It'll be cool cause XMAS is the TIME of GIVING and things, even though I'm a right Scrooge.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Kragt » 28 Nov 2011 16:23

Id love to help if I can actually get something good enough for it out the door. XD
Kragt

Postby Nix_Spark » 28 Nov 2011 16:23

Looks fun, might see what I can do...
Nix_Spark

Postby PiercingSight » 28 Nov 2011 16:25

Count me in :)
I don't believe in work. I believe in productive play. - me

Yamaha DGX-620, Garageband '11.
Instruments: Piano (by ear since I was 3), violin (barely), Guitar (novice).

http://soundcloud.com/piercingsight
http://youtube.com/user/danegraphics
PiercingSight

Postby TaisiKP » 28 Nov 2011 16:27

I'll join. ^^
TaisiKP

Postby ArtAttack » 28 Nov 2011 16:38

Will do. So much on my plate now ^_^
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 28 Nov 2011 17:11

I'd be cool with this, I'm getting a bit tired of rearranging stuff anyway!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby X-Trav » 28 Nov 2011 17:28

Count me in.
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Versilaryan » 28 Nov 2011 17:38

I'm in on this! Will work my hardest to get another song in. ._.
Versilaryan

Postby Aussie » 28 Nov 2011 17:38

I'll do it!
Aussie

Postby Calamus_Dash » 28 Nov 2011 18:22

You have my axe!
I mean, uh, sign me up if there's still room :D
how did this get here
i am not good with computer

http://www.youtube.com/user/calamusdash
Calamus_Dash

Postby MiuMiuChuu » 29 Nov 2011 01:24

I'm on board!
MiuMiuChuu

Cutie Mark: Weird kind

Postby Tsyolin » 02 Dec 2011 22:22

I guess I'm in too. Assuming both this idea and Voodoo's both go through...
Tsyolin

Primary: Studio One
Cutie Mark: I don't even know anymore

Postby Interrobang Pie » 03 Dec 2011 10:51

Yeah, the two ideas are actually pretty similar. Do we use Senator's my idea or Voodoo's? Or do we combine them together somehow?
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Navron » 03 Dec 2011 12:34

Count me in!

Is there a time frame we're looking at though as a submission deadline? Or is that TBA?
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby StormWolf » 04 Dec 2011 01:19

Count me in :D
-StormWolf

YouTube | SoundCloud
StormWolf

Postby Darktrot » 04 Dec 2011 11:00

Im in
DARKTROT MUSIC FOREVER
Darktrot

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 06 Dec 2011 04:46

I'm tentatively in depending on when the track deadline is. Also I promise it will be something with a melody and not noise because I can do that.
Supersaw Hoover

Smile ! : A Christmas charity fundraiser

Postby InC » 06 Dec 2011 09:28

Hey guys !

At Bronies for Good, we are currently planning a big charity event for Christmas, and looking for talented artists willing to participate. Thanks to Global Giving, we already have a way to raise tax-deductible donations in favor of the Children's Cancer Association (top-rated at Charity Navigator) without handling ourselves any of the money, so trust and logistics won't be an issue. The current plan is to at least offer gifts to the most generous donors, but we'd also love any other kind of artistic contribution, in whatever form it may be ! I noticed a charity album was in the works but that the logistics haven't yet be determined, so we may be able to collaborate with this. For example, it wouldn't be much trouble to make it so that people donating to CCA automatically get sent a download link/key for this album.

The overall theme for this event is "Smile !", so pretty much anything can fit in, as that's exactly what good music makes people do. I didn't want to hijack the Mega-MLR Charity Album thread, but I read it and it seemed like a great idea, so we're only offering you guys a way to distribute it !
The deadline for the first volume of this would be the 25th of December, but the event is supposed to spread out over a whole month, so submissions would still be very welcome after that date. By starting that early, we have a clear shot for an unclaimed 3000$ collaboration bonus, so it's definitely worth it !

We're about to post something on EqD advertising this whole thing, so please tell us if you guys are interested before we write this up !
InC

Re: Smile ! : A Christmas charity fundraiser

Postby Interrobang Pie » 06 Dec 2011 09:45

Our charity album would be perfect for exactly this, yes. Let's just hope we can actually make it.
Interrobang Pie

Re: Smile ! : A Christmas charity fundraiser

Postby Senator Myth » 06 Dec 2011 13:33

If you'd like to hijack that particular thread, I welcome and encourage you to. I started it without any intention of actually RUNNING it. I was rather hoping someone else would actually take the reins if I sort of suggested it. I would do it, as I think it would be a great deal of fun, but I simply have far too much going on right now in the rest of my life to do it.

So yes! Go forth, hijack that project! Please!
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Next

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events