<100% Modern Talking> <WIP> <Non-Pony> (Unnamed)

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.
Forum rules
WARNING: The Technique and Sharing is Magic forums are about to be removed. They will close on August 31st, 2013. Preserve topics in these forums by reporting threads to the mods for moving each topic to a specific forum. The rest will be eliminated.

<100% Modern Talking> <WIP> <Non-Pony> (Unnamed)

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 22 Jun 2012 14:42

What a title!

Anyways, here's my new WIP for the album 100% Modern Talking: (Well, it's not REALLY an album anymore)

http://soundcloud.com/xxdarkshadow79xx/100-modern-talking-wip-unnamed

What can I do to improve it? Also, what would be a good name for the track?
User avatar
XXDarkShadow79XX
 
Posts: 944
Joined: 13 Mar 2012 04:49
Location: New Jersey, USA
OS: Windows
Primary: FL

Re: <100% Modern Talking> <WIP> <Non-Pony> (Unnamed)

Postby Kiwibomb » 22 Jun 2012 14:47

Woah there tiger. Remove some of that distortion on the drop. Not only is it too loud, but there aren't any notes to catch in there.
How I make music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h53EgI3m ... e=youtu.be

DAW: FL Studio 10
DeviantART: synjode.deviantart.com
Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/acrylia
User avatar
Kiwibomb
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 22 Jun 2012 13:49
Location: Candyland

Re: <100% Modern Talking> <WIP> <Non-Pony> (Unnamed)

Postby senntenial » 22 Jun 2012 15:05

First... Ugh. Change that snare in the beginning. It's horridly stretched. As for the rest of the song, its very rythmic without much melody. I know it's hard to do in dubstep, but adding a few chords or a vague melody can really double the interest of a song. I loved the intro, why did you not use any of those chords or melodies in the drop? Other than that, it's sounding pretty good besides some mixing which I'm sure you'll fix.

As to the above poster, weird distorted bass notes are actually completely fine, they just have to be used correctly. I'd like to hear where this goes.
My website with free music resources
17 year old professional loser
User avatar
senntenial
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 637
Joined: 25 Feb 2012 01:44
Location: Pennsylvania
OS: Windows 7-8, Ubuntu
Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Re: <100% Modern Talking> <WIP> <Non-Pony> (Unnamed)

Postby Kiwibomb » 22 Jun 2012 15:20

piedoom wrote:As to the above poster, weird distorted bass notes are actually completely fine, they just have to be used correctly. I'd like to hear where this goes.


Well, dubstep's not my thing, so I'll take your word for it.
How I make music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h53EgI3m ... e=youtu.be

DAW: FL Studio 10
DeviantART: synjode.deviantart.com
Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/acrylia
User avatar
Kiwibomb
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 22 Jun 2012 13:49
Location: Candyland

Re: <100% Modern Talking> <WIP> <Non-Pony> (Unnamed)

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 22 Jun 2012 18:45

Thanks for the help guys. :)
Unfortunately the beginning chords are part of a sample, so there's no way I could take it apart. I could layer it over the drop though. For the snare, I was going for that kind of sound, but if it doesn't sound that good then of course I'll change it. In the meantime, any ideas for a title?
User avatar
XXDarkShadow79XX
 
Posts: 944
Joined: 13 Mar 2012 04:49
Location: New Jersey, USA
OS: Windows
Primary: FL

Re: <100% Modern Talking> <WIP> <Non-Pony> (Unnamed)

Postby Sgt-Whip (DJQ) » 22 Jun 2012 20:30

XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:Thanks for the help guys. :)
Unfortunately the beginning chords are part of a sample, so there's no way I could take it apart. I could layer it over the drop though. For the snare, I was going for that kind of sound, but if it doesn't sound that good then of course I'll change it. In the meantime, any ideas for a title?


You could try isolating the chords by slicing up the sample and keeping exactly the parts you want to layer over the drop, then do some EQ work on the sample to ensure that no other additional sounds from the sample conflict with your more dominant instrument in your drop (don't want to outshine that growling bass). Of course you would want to make sure that what ever equalizing you do doesn't effect the sample sound in the intro, just when its being coupled with the growling bass.

I too feel like the distortion is a bit much, but its also true that distortion can do wonders for a bassline if done right. Maybe reducing the distortion a tad would be good, but not off fully. Its probably just going to come down to what you like after having played around with it for some time.

I personally think the snare was fine. I thought having it drawn out was pretty creative actually. But you know, stuff like that is all about personal taste. Its the kick that I think needs some oomph.
User avatar
Sgt-Whip (DJQ)
 
Posts: 72
Joined: 14 Mar 2012 00:39
Location: Maryland

Re: <100% Modern Talking> <WIP> <Non-Pony> (Unnamed)

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 23 Jun 2012 09:38

Sgt-Whip (DJQ) wrote:You could try isolating the chords by slicing up the sample and keeping exactly the parts you want to layer over the drop, then do some EQ work on the sample to ensure that no other additional sounds from the sample conflict with your more dominant instrument in your drop (don't want to outshine that growling bass). Of course you would want to make sure that what ever equalizing you do doesn't effect the sample sound in the intro, just when its being coupled with the growling bass.


I could definitely try that out, but the entire sample layered over the drop doesn't sound too bad either.

Sgt-Whip (DJQ) wrote:I too feel like the distortion is a bit much, but its also true that distortion can do wonders for a bassline if done right. Maybe reducing the distortion a tad would be good, but not off fully. Its probably just going to come down to what you like after having played around with it for some time.


I actually do agree, the distortion is a bit too crazy, but the only problem with lowering it is that it makes the main bass lose character. It just sounds like modern talking with an lfo. So I did lower the distortion a bit, but I still kept a lot of it.

Sgt-Whip (DJQ) wrote:I personally think the snare was fine. I thought having it drawn out was pretty creative actually. But you know, stuff like that is all about personal taste. Its the kick that I think needs some oomph.


The snare was actually due to an FL Studio error. Sometimes,when I'm importing a drum sample, Fl Studio likes to screw it up and stretch the crap out of it. This time I decided to take advantage of it, because I wanted a really huge and long snare. So I compressed the crap out of it and put a little reverb and EQ (I'm weird and I mix and master the track WHILE I'm working on it. Hopefully there are some other people out there that do this too.) and voilà! You've got one tasty snare. As for the kick, I think I'll layer it and add a touch of reverb and that should fix it up.

Seriously, every suggestion counts. I want to make this track the best it can be, so thank you guys. But really, I need a title too.
User avatar
XXDarkShadow79XX
 
Posts: 944
Joined: 13 Mar 2012 04:49
Location: New Jersey, USA
OS: Windows
Primary: FL

Re: <100% Modern Talking> <WIP> <Non-Pony> (Unnamed)

Postby itroitnyah » 23 Jun 2012 11:34

The drop is good, I can feel the bass, but I'm just not feeling quite the intenseness. How many soundgoodizers/sausage fatteners do you have on there? or other effects that work to a similar degree that "fatten" the sound or whatnot. Adding those, as well as some white noise to fill the sound wave spectrum, can help a bit. But another thing is adding in some treble. that might work too. But good anyways ^.^
ImageImageImageImageImage Image Image Image Get it? Because they're... Links ahuehue. Seriously though, click images
My studio: [List of equipment]
User avatar
itroitnyah
 
Posts: 2471
Joined: 02 Mar 2012 20:27
Location: Wisconsin
OS: Windows 7
Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: <100% Modern Talking> <WIP> <Non-Pony> (Unnamed)

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 23 Jun 2012 13:34

itroitnyah wrote:The drop is good, I can feel the bass, but I'm just not feeling quite the intenseness. How many soundgoodizers/sausage fatteners do you have on there? or other effects that work to a similar degree that "fatten" the sound or whatnot. Adding those, as well as some white noise to fill the sound wave spectrum, can help a bit. But another thing is adding in some treble. that might work too. But good anyways ^.^


I do have white noise already, but I guess I could slap on a few soundgoodizers, but I don't have sausage fattener yet. I also might add a synth to add some treble.
User avatar
XXDarkShadow79XX
 
Posts: 944
Joined: 13 Mar 2012 04:49
Location: New Jersey, USA
OS: Windows
Primary: FL

Re: <100% Modern Talking> <WIP> <Non-Pony> (Unnamed)

Postby Sgt-Whip (DJQ) » 24 Jun 2012 22:28

XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:
The snare was actually due to an FL Studio error. Sometimes,when I'm importing a drum sample, Fl Studio likes to screw it up and stretch the crap out of it. This time I decided to take advantage of it, because I wanted a really huge and long snare. So I compressed the crap out of it and put a little reverb and EQ (I'm weird and I mix and master the track WHILE I'm working on it. Hopefully there are some other people out there that do this too.) and voilà! You've got one tasty snare. As for the kick, I think I'll layer it and add a touch of reverb and that should fix it up.


Yeah, FL does that. It's probably trying to match the sample to the set tempo, and for whatever reason decided that what it stretched it out to was accurate. You can fix that by changing the time control in the time stretching section of the sample's channel. For future reference I mean, its cool that you were able to take advantage of it here.

Also, I too mix the levels of the track into the master so that everything stays at below -2 db. I usually want to get a relatively finished product within fl itself. However, mastering usually counts as some audio work you do to a file after exporting so that its leveled to about the same volume as all other tracks on an album, and then distributed for a CD product. Mastering takes into account other tracks that it will be presented with more often than not.
User avatar
Sgt-Whip (DJQ)
 
Posts: 72
Joined: 14 Mar 2012 00:39
Location: Maryland

Re: <100% Modern Talking> <WIP> <Non-Pony> (Unnamed)

Postby Kiwibomb » 05 Jul 2012 18:33

The snare was actually due to an FL Studio error. Sometimes,when I'm importing a drum sample, Fl Studio likes to screw it up and stretch the crap out of it. This time I decided to take advantage of it, because I wanted a really huge and long snare.


I actually think that was pretty clever of you to keep it stretched, I've seen some people do some really cool things with mistakenly stretched samples. Like Renard did what he calls a "Non-State Trip Mix" of one of his own songs Our Special Place http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvHdugC4erI
How I make music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h53EgI3m ... e=youtu.be

DAW: FL Studio 10
DeviantART: synjode.deviantart.com
Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/acrylia
User avatar
Kiwibomb
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 22 Jun 2012 13:49
Location: Candyland

Re: <100% Modern Talking> <WIP> <Non-Pony> (Unnamed)

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 05 Jul 2012 20:32

Kiwibomb wrote:
The snare was actually due to an FL Studio error. Sometimes,when I'm importing a drum sample, Fl Studio likes to screw it up and stretch the crap out of it. This time I decided to take advantage of it, because I wanted a really huge and long snare.


I actually think that was pretty clever of you to keep it stretched, I've seen some people do some really cool things with mistakenly stretched samples. Like Renard did what he calls a "Non-State Trip Mix" of one of his own songs Our Special Place http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvHdugC4erI


Yay! I did something like Renard! (Aka right)
User avatar
XXDarkShadow79XX
 
Posts: 944
Joined: 13 Mar 2012 04:49
Location: New Jersey, USA
OS: Windows
Primary: FL

Re: <100% Modern Talking> <WIP> <Non-Pony> (Unnamed)

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 08 Jul 2012 13:56

Alright guys, I made a version 2:
http://soundcloud.com/xxdarkshadow79xx/100-modern-talking-wip-2

But seriously, I NEED a title! Also, what can I do to improve the vocal melody that appears throughout the song? (Try and guess what pony it is) I did indeed lower the level of distortion, but only a bit. Lowering it any further made the drop sound incredibly weak. Also, how does the double time part sound?
User avatar
XXDarkShadow79XX
 
Posts: 944
Joined: 13 Mar 2012 04:49
Location: New Jersey, USA
OS: Windows
Primary: FL


Return to General Music Feedback and Advice



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest