Mega-MLR Charity Album & Smile : A Christmas charity Fund

Current events we're participating in.

Re: Mega-MLR Charity Album & Smile : A Christmas charity Fun

Postby bartekko » 20 Dec 2011 11:27

randomblockfilms wrote:
InC wrote:I'm sorry I forgot to say so in the announcement, but all submissions need to be encoded either in FLAC or at the very least in 320kbps MP3, a charity album release deserves the highest quality !

what about AIFF or WAV files? cause i dont know how to export a FLAC file with ableton.

Audacity is best converter
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby InC » 20 Dec 2011 11:40

WAV also works, but you can just as well make it 320 kbps MP3 as this is how we will release the album anyway.
InC

Postby bartekko » 20 Dec 2011 12:02

InC wrote:WAV also works, but you can just as well make it 320 kbps MP3 as this is how we will release the album anyway.

The Problem is, 320 kbps MP3's are pretty damn heavy, so are all lossless compressions, and if a song sounds perfectly fine in 192 kbps, or some VBR, then why bother forcing 320 kbps?
bartekko

Postby Ropony » 20 Dec 2011 12:07

bartekko wrote:
InC wrote:WAV also works, but you can just as well make it 320 kbps MP3 as this is how we will release the album anyway.

The Problem is, 320 kbps MP3's are pretty damn heavy, so are all lossless compressions, and if a song sounds perfectly fine in 192 kbps, or some VBR, then why bother forcing 320 kbps?

It would be nice to let the people actually donating the money to choose what format they want it in, for that reason i think all the submissions should be in lossless.
Ropony

Postby Osoth » 20 Dec 2011 12:50

bartekko wrote:

I would also like to ask this question. I understand that lossless is the biggest thing right now, but I can tell you how annoying it is to have to have 100-125 megabyte files that I have to upload to Bandcamp, when with any other site I can just upload an 6-7 megabyte MP3 in much less time, and there's little to no difference in sound quality. I'm sorry you can't hear sounds in the 2-5hz range and I'm sure your dog is missing out on your sweet tunes, but honestly, this is just overkill.
Singer of the Beatlebronies! (formerly Cassonade) - http://www.youtube.com/beatlebrony

I use Garageband, my voice, my guitar, and household items. Also, a Rock Band microphone.
Osoth

Postby thattechnique » 20 Dec 2011 16:31

Ohkay. I export my projects 320kbps but when I put it thru Audacity, it dropped to 128kbps. My bad. I'll reupload it.
thattechnique

Postby bartekko » 20 Dec 2011 17:07

thattechnique wrote:Ohkay. I export my projects 320kbps but when I put it thru Audacity, it dropped to 128kbps. My bad. I'll reupload it.

try version 1.3. it has options in export menu, where you can choose the quality
bartekko

Postby Kryptage » 20 Dec 2011 21:06

Aw man, I was trying my best to meet this deadline. Looks like I'm gonna have to withdraw, too much work to do, not enough time to write. Maybe next time..
A fews songs in progress at all times!

check out my latest on my soundcloud

http://soundcloud.com/moviemajic12
Kryptage

Postby Makkon » 20 Dec 2011 21:31

Hey guys, this is where it gets hard for the judges.
We've gotten a lot of great entries from people, but there are a number of songs that don't match the quality standards that we need for this album. This is different than the remix war, since this is for charity and people will actually be paying money for it, we will have to cut a few songs from the list. Please don't take any of this personally.

Thanks for your understanding.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 20 Dec 2011 21:39

Fingers crossed
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 20 Dec 2011 21:43

[suspense]
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby randomblockfilms » 20 Dec 2011 22:25

Makkon wrote:Hey guys, this is where it gets hard for the judges.
We've gotten a lot of great entries from people, but there are a number of songs that don't match the quality standards that we need for this album. This is different than the remix war, since this is for charity and people will actually be paying money for it, we will have to cut a few songs from the list. Please don't take any of this personally.

Thanks for your understanding.

I have a strange feeling that one of those songs is mine. lol.
mahYoutubeChannal

Take my advice with a grain of salt as i too am learning how this music stuff works
English is my native language but it is defiantly not my forte.
randomblockfilms

Primary: Ableton 8

Postby Makkon » 20 Dec 2011 22:43

randomblockfilms wrote:I have a strange feeling that one of those songs is mine. lol.

I just checked.
I like it, and none of the judges have any complaints. It's up to you, but having a nice drop with some melodic bass would do this song wonders in some places (not the whole song). It's fine as is, but it could really push it to the next level.

Then again that's probably my personal taste talking. I feel like it makes the cut currently.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby PinkieGuy » 21 Dec 2011 00:15

On the topic of cuts, I'm working on a song for this at the moment, and it definitely passes the "Sound production" test so far. The catch is that it's heavy metal, and not all in major sounding keys.

Lyrically (as much as i've recorded) it fits the theme of smile, I just want to know my odds of getting accepted if I rush to finish it on time?
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Navron » 21 Dec 2011 00:56

Since people were wondering about quality comparisons on the last page.

My entry was originally a 160kbps mp3 which I have resent as a 320kbps mp3. The 160kbps version had some annoying static that was very faint at the beginning, but was eliminated when exported as 320kbps. This static was only heard on my higher quality headphones and speakers at home, and not in my car stereo or iPod headphones, so just because a song sounds the same to you for both 160kbps and 320kbps, doesn't mean it might not have some quality degradation in certain frequency ranges your own equipment doesn't cover.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Makkon » 21 Dec 2011 02:02

PinkieGuy: Send us a demo!

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Makkon » 21 Dec 2011 02:18

If you can't make the deadline for Vol1, remember that we are planning a Vol2 with a deadline of Jan 11th Jan 15th. Making a new event for it now!

Event is here
submission/list.php?event=25

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Osoth » 21 Dec 2011 02:50

Makkon wrote:PinkieGuy: Send us a demo!

Oh, oh gosh! Thank you so much for including me in your teaser! This means so much, I am very honoured! However, can you please attribute it to "Osoth?" You have me listed as my real name, Jason Kennett. Thank you very much, again! I am extremely excited. Thank you. I can't say that enough. ;3;
Singer of the Beatlebronies! (formerly Cassonade) - http://www.youtube.com/beatlebrony

I use Garageband, my voice, my guitar, and household items. Also, a Rock Band microphone.
Osoth

Postby bartekko » 21 Dec 2011 04:55

HEY GUYS I HAVENT YET RESENT MY ENTRIES AS WAV

AgsJKFLFGHLSKFHLFLAFBLFBAFBNAKVBLJFBSDLHJBQL LGNPDPWQFIOENPWQRPEUFWEOJDEGOREQVIOPEHNRP

g

EDIT: done. Hope ,my songs don't get rejected for being too dark
bartekko

Postby Makkon » 21 Dec 2011 07:44

Osoth wrote:Oh, oh gosh! Thank you so much for including me in your teaser! This means so much, I am very honoured! However, can you please attribute it to "Osoth?" You have me listed as my real name, Jason Kennett. Thank you very much, again! I am extremely excited. Thank you. I can't say that enough. ;3;

Ah crap, sorry man! I went by the tags of the song rather than forum user names, sorry about that! I can add an annotation at best, but the video is up and I can't change it.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby MiuMiuChuu » 21 Dec 2011 07:49

Asjsdjsgkjl clinical depression.

I'll join for next vol.
MiuMiuChuu

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Weird kind

Postby SoGreatandPowerful » 21 Dec 2011 07:54

Makkon et. al., I'm nearly finished, but would you say the deadline is before the 22nd 'comes to pass,' as it were, or by midnight tonight?
SoGreatandPowerful

Postby bartekko » 21 Dec 2011 08:21

SoGreatandPowerful wrote:Makkon et. al., I'm nearly finished, but would you say the deadline is before the 22nd 'comes to pass,' as it were, or by midnight tonight?

Counter at "Events"

derp
bartekko

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 21 Dec 2011 11:15

I nearly fell off my chair when I put on the teaser and found out that the first song was my song. Wow, thanks so much!

Then I listened to the rest of the teaser. Holy crap, this is going to be amazing. That I'll Be Coming Home song, sweet jesus. I want it now.

... now I'm kind of embarrassed at my song. I don't even pronounce the words correctly in it or anything, oh dear.
Last edited by TheSunAndTheRainfall on 21 Dec 2011 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby Osoth » 21 Dec 2011 11:21

Makkon wrote:
Osoth wrote:Oh, oh gosh! Thank you so much for including me in your teaser! This means so much, I am very honoured! However, can you please attribute it to "Osoth?" You have me listed as my real name, Jason Kennett. Thank you very much, again! I am extremely excited. Thank you. I can't say that enough. ;3;

Ah crap, sorry man! I went by the tags of the song rather than forum user names, sorry about that! I can add an annotation at best, but the video is up and I can't change it.

Oh no, I know that. It's okay. Just as long as like, physically on the album it's changed that would be fine. c:

Osoth

PreviousNext

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events