WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?
We all know that Modern Talking is almost universally hated. Knife Party named their EP "100% No Modern Talking" for a reason, any Massive tutorials that use it are usually hit with comments condemning it, and this comment from a Youtube user that sums it up quite nicely: "modern talking is the comic sans of dubstep". But while many hate on it, I have decided to give it a second chance, and give this poor waveform a chance to show it's true creative potential, with a little thing I'm calling "100% Modern Talking," (Wow, another Knife Party parody. Not sure what to think of that)HERE'S THE RULES:
• You are to make a song where every synth must be made using Massive, and must have at least one oscillator on Modern Talking (I may change this to allow one or two other synths, either on Massive or another VST - I imagine a lead using Modern Talking might be difficult to make sound good)
• Songs must be at least two minutes in length.
• Your song doesn't have to be pony related, but you are free to do so.
• You can make as many songs as you want for this.
• THIS IS NOT STRICTLY A DUBSTEP THING. I hope to see other genres used (house, electro, moombahton, go wild!)
• THIS IS NOT A CONTEST. This is several different things:
- A challenge (Can you make a kickass song using the most hated waveform of all?)
- A fun, creative opportunity.
• Keep in mind that this not JUST about using Modern Talking, it's about showing that Modern Talking is good WHEN USED CORRECTLY. As in, do not slap an envelope or an LFO onto the wavetable position and call it a day, because THAT'S WHY PEOPLE DON'T LIKE IT (And it really does sound bad and lazy, because it is.)ANTICIPATED FAQ'S:
Q: Does it have to be HARD? Cause my styles more relaxed and thats why I'm not doing balloon party so... :I
A: Not at all. It can be of varying levels of hardness, from psychotastic dubstep or electro to some nice mellow trance or chillstep. Just make sure everything uses Modern Talking.
Q: Pshh, yeah right. Can you name one song that uses Modern Talking well? HA! That's what I thought, loser!
A: Here are a few suggestions for you:Blend it in:
Make it work together with your other oscillators, but don't just let it sit there: Find a good combo, and let Modern Talking's elements work with the other oscillators.Just make it sound less modern talky:
You can still make a good growl bass with Modern Talking. Just don't make it sound like Modern Talking as much! (How you do that is up to you)Make it sound really decrepit and weird:
Listen to some Borgore or Kill The Noise to know what I mean by this. Rather than trying to make modern talking sound nice, they just makes it sound really really weird. This
is a perfect example of that. (Not hating on either, I like their style.)
Q: Uhh, yeah, this sounds cool and all but...ARE YOU INSANE?!?!?!?!
A: Probably, but the state hasn't tested me yet and I haven't been convicted of anything, so I'm sittin pretty as of now.
If you have any more questions, feel free to post in the thread, PM me, or add me on skype (in my sig). NOW LETS TALK, MODERN STYLE. Wow, that sucked...
_________________My YoutubeMy Soundcloud
DAW: Ableton Live 8
Genres: Pretty much anything, really.