Official Discussion Thread (Ghost Edit)

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Official Discussion thread (for discussions)

Postby ExoBassTix » 21 Jun 2014 10:58

eery wrote:You say that, but you were the one to report it?

Because I know the way the mod team (not you all as individuals) think. I did report it, just to be of service to the team, not to my own personal thoughts. Because I care about following rules, and others following them (to prevent shit), and I care about that more than I care about voicing my opinion. That comes second, like now. I'm selfless like that, and I know it's not always good, that's why I'm also working on that bit of me at the CCL. Then again, I don't know if it's an important part of who I am, or if I should work on fixing it. Perhaps just learning how to go with using that bit of me.

eery wrote:Besides, theres threads it makes sense to keep it up, and most of the time, it doesnt matter, since the forum gets low activity anyways.

If you don't mind me saying so, this sounds to me like you've given up on the future of MLR already.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Stuntddude » 21 Jun 2014 11:08

I'd have to agree you may as well auto-lock very old threads, if only so that people don't end up posting in them only to have them consistently and immediately locked but still taking up space on the front page for a section for a few days.

It would also be nice to have more concrete (and easily followed) rules for when to make a new thread for something - e.g., "Don't make a new thread for something unless there's no previously existing thread, or unless the existing thread is ## or more months old."
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: { }

Postby ExoBassTix » 21 Jun 2014 11:24

It's very demotivating to post -at all- when useful contributions to threads, be them old, cause lockdown.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Freewave » 21 Jun 2014 11:44

I have no idea why this conversation is in THIS thread and not being handled by pm's or in a MLR rules thread. If a thread is relevent still and people aren't responding to a months / years old quote then i don't see why we would lock it. When people bump an irrelevent thread and respond to a request that has past then it should of course be locked. We as mods just have to make a decision when these come up and users can flag them when these occur.

There is no set rule on locking ALL old threads. IF the thread is still useful in a current environment it shouldnt be locked. We don't need or have an auto lock script.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby eery » 21 Jun 2014 12:19

ExoBassTix wrote:
eery wrote:Besides, theres threads it makes sense to keep it up, and most of the time, it doesnt matter, since the forum gets low activity anyways.

If you don't mind me saying so, this sounds to me like you've given up on the future of MLR already.

Its not giving up, its stating a fact. I dont even see why you would think thats what it means.
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby Stuntddude » 21 Jun 2014 12:31

Freewave wrote:There is no set rule on locking ALL old threads. IF the thread is still useful in a current environment it shouldnt be locked. We don't need or have an auto lock script.

This isn't how moderation on this site actually wroks, though, let's be honest - I haven't been here for an extraordinarily long time (only about 5 months iirc), but I have yet to see any thread that has been posted on for the first time in more than two months that hasn't been immediately locked, regardless of the content and whether it's relevant.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
Stuntddude

Postby Freewave » 21 Jun 2014 13:13

Well i sent a pm to the two newest mods on this subject but AGAIN we shouldn't be locking useful threads that are bumped and still relevent. It's understandable if not everyone gets that as we've internally debated on this several times in the past and we've got a very different staff then where we began. Again though if you want to discuss this further PLEASE move this subject out of the discussion thread and into one of the MLR rules thread and continue it there.
Freewave

Postby LFP » 22 Jun 2014 16:59

Stuntddude wrote:
Freewave wrote:There is no set rule on locking ALL old threads. IF the thread is still useful in a current environment it shouldnt be locked. We don't need or have an auto lock script.

This isn't how moderation on this site actually wroks, though, let's be honest - I haven't been here for an extraordinarily long time (only about 5 months iirc), but I have yet to see any thread that has been posted on for the first time in more than two months that hasn't been immediately locked, regardless of the content and whether it's relevant.

Well you're kinda posting in one ;)
There's also threads like the pony thread etc who stay open.

Also; what happened to Jokabluuuuuu's avatar?
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby ExoBassTix » 22 Jun 2014 17:59

LFP wrote:Also; what happened to Jokabluuuuuu's avatar?

I just saw that! Jokobloko don't you leave us now.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 23 Jun 2014 10:05

There are no toilet plungers at my work place. We have industrial strength toilets. "Uncloggable"

Someone just clogged our toilet.

I'm gonna print off an award for that. That's quite an achievement.
Anyone have any great achievements lately?
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby FLAOFEI » 23 Jun 2014 10:26

Ive been sanding for about 4 hours today. And I'm not making anything big...
I'm making a hanger for my bass. I made a real neat design... which hopefully doesn't break from a 5 kg bass... It would be a shame if it... [insert adequate pun here]
Anyway, Ima glue it tonight and let it harden fo 24+ h untill morning in two days, then shape it some more and then final sanding and oiling...

It's looking real good so far, which is impressive since I havent done any woodwork since woodshop in grade 8, which was around 4 years ago. So that will be a great achievement, when I'm done.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 23 Jun 2014 11:46

Today (or tomorrow or sometime soon), me and my boss are gonna film me wrecking his minifridge. Gonna throw it from a man lift 40+ ft in the air. YouTube shall be a place I post it. (I have to pretend to be angry) this will be a fun achievement for me. :)
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Ricky Denzel » 23 Jun 2014 12:59

I think the word "Failure" likes me. I can't get my label right and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Not many people want to be in any of my compilation albums. WHY GOD HATES ME?!?!
Never Validating My Bastardizing Remedy
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Triangle with an eye

Postby S.P.P » 23 Jun 2014 13:06

Ricky Denzel wrote:I think the word "Failure" likes me. I can't get my label right and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Not many people want to be in any of my compilation albums. WHY GOD HATES ME?!?!

Make sure it's been planned out right. Any kind of label of release will never work without planning.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Ricky Denzel » 23 Jun 2014 13:10

I tried, but I suck at planning. That never works for me.
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Postby S.P.P » 23 Jun 2014 13:27

Ricky Denzel wrote:I tried, but I suck at planning. That never works for me.

Well then I don't think a label will work for you either. No offense.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Ricky Denzel » 23 Jun 2014 13:35

So, just give up. I can't give up because the ones who signed up will think I hustled them.
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 23 Jun 2014 13:54

Don't give up. Just try harder. Or try differently. Pay attention to how other people plan and use them as an example
Bronies Are Cool

Postby ExoBassTix » 23 Jun 2014 14:01

You wanna know how much I suck at planning?
I just happen to be good at thinking on impulse. Then again that isn't always helpful either, and yet I'm doing pretty well if I may say so.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Stuntddude » 23 Jun 2014 18:24

Ricky Denzel wrote:I think the word "Failure" likes me. I can't get my label right and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Not many people want to be in any of my compilation albums. WHY GOD HATES ME?!?!

For the compilation albums, I feel like starting a lot of them without anything clear/obvious to set them apart is generally a very bad idea.

For the label, I think that's more complicated. Generally it's just super difficult to start something like that, as far as I know. But also you really didn't think it through.
Last edited by Stuntddude on 23 Jun 2014 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Stuntddude

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 23 Jun 2014 18:42

I am surprised that my comp. album seems to be doing ok. It got a pretty good response. We just have to see how many people submit at the dead line. I am thinking about 8-10ish right now.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby LFP » 24 Jun 2014 01:20

Well the idea is pretty cool, just don't forget to remind people about the deadline so they actually submit instead of forgetting about it, I feel like that's a far too common problem many comp albums run into.
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby FLAOFEI » 24 Jun 2014 04:33

Ricky Denzel wrote:So, just give up. I can't give up because the ones who signed up will think I hustled them.

A very good teacher once told me "Work smarter, not harder". He meant that as "Plan your time, and your effort. Prioritise! Work effectively! Stop procrastinating and get on with it!".

Another wise man (dad) once (or twice) told me "There is no such thing as raising the priority of something. There is only lowering the priority of other things.". One should always keep that in mind when starting new projects.

I do want to point out though that walking away from a project isn't necessaries giving up. If you aren't ready to put in the effort necessary, then continuing with a project won't make anybody happy. Although if ppl expect a label and you don't give them a label... You'r gonna have to prioritise that for yourself.
Either way, be honest to your self. If you want to do this, plz continue, but if you don't really feel like doing it, then don't.

I also want to point out that I'm not a hippie shouting about doing exactly what you want whenever you want. That would be silly. There are certain times you have to do certain things, whether you want to or not. I can't say this is one of them though.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Freewave » 24 Jun 2014 09:31

Sometimes you just need to look at what a good fit for you is. Very few people are qualified to run event albums WELL and practically no one has run a Brony Music Label successfully either. The bigger reason i think is why you think you needed to do both and did you follow any of the guidelines I've spelled out in the past. It's not god hating you its likely poor planning and setting a goal that you can't feasibly reach. Sorry to say that...

If it makes you feel any better I'm an admin at mlr, run a few blogs, and have a healthy subscriber count and I have not attempted an event album on my own so far or a music label because there's a huge chance both would fail, even if i gave them my all. I'm also over twice your age, and maturity and experience have to be part of the equation. Most of the things I've done and planned in this community routinely miss my expectations of what i was aiming for and asking for people to assist in what you want to do is always an exercise in disappointment. Success is not the norm, it is the exception. :geek:
Freewave

Postby ExoBassTix » 24 Jun 2014 15:54

ExoBassTix wrote:Also yesterday I had an audition at a Producer academy yesterday. Well that was one amazing experience. Normally they don't allow people under 18, but they do have exceptions for very talented, passionate underage people. That dude who showed me around in that small studio space (who was the only one there; very cool lad too) said he didn't have any doubt about me fitting on the academy :D

His story did help me see the difference between producing and producing. You have producers like Afrojack, Armin van Buuren, etc. but you also have producers like "that dude who made Katy Perry's Dark Horse"; the studio dudes so to say. You get the difference. The academy I went to yesterday trains you towards the latter kind of producer, the "traditional producer." I'm gonna see if I can have a looksee at another academy who trains you to become the former kind of producer, a "modern producer."

But seriously though. If I were just gonna take this 2-year course of becoming a traditional producer, I'd
1) not have to worry about not getting another delay for obligatory education (which I need now to attend the CCL and not go to school);
2) not even be 18 yet and get a certificate that says I'm perfectly able to run a studio and support bands and singers alike. And if that were to happen, it'd certainly be a lot of yes good. Normaly people (in general) start their professional training at around the age of 18-21. I'd be done already with certificate et al :D

So I just officially heard that I'M DEFINITELY GONNA DO THIS COURSE NEXT SCHOOL YEAR :D
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion