Official Discussion Thread (Ghost Edit)

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Official Discussion thread (for discussions)

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 18 Jun 2014 22:56

I'm hoping that nothing is really gonna affect my videos. Not that I make money on them anyway.
Bronies Are Cool

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby PropellerEscape » 19 Jun 2014 02:40

After 2 long months I'm finally done with GCSE exams thank God.
Now I have 3 months of summer to do lotsa music and other things :3
DAW - FL Studio 11

Main VSTs - Harmor, Harmless, Massive, Sytrus and FM8

My Main SoundCloud
My Experimental Soundcloud

Add me on Skype - PropellerEscapeMusic
PropellerEscape

Primary: Flel Studio 11.
Cutie Mark: Synth of Lel

Postby topitmunkeydog » 19 Jun 2014 05:36

congratulations!I am excited to hear what will come out of the 3 months of music, propellor

i'm finally getting stuff done regarding the band I'm starting: writing songs, etc. we actually did a performance a while ago for an event organized by my school's QSA but I don't have the video and we never recorded it. It was my first actual attempt at using ableton and I made a very postal service-sounding cover of "I was born a unicorn"
do you think Maniac Foxy is a good name for a band? Or Airplane Feelings?

anywayyy i have an actual question which is, do any of you know of like, pretty cheap midi controllers that have buttons big enough to be played as a drum set? I've decided that live drums are really fun but I don't have room for """""Real drums""""" acoustic ones or whatevs, so I am looking for a simple midi controller. Or, do the drums that you can buy for those video games like Rock Band or Guitar Hero work as midi controllers? I often see those at thrift stores so I'm thinking that may be a solution idk what i am looking for sorry to bother yall with this ^~^
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Postby Acsii » 19 Jun 2014 06:42

topitmunkeydog wrote:congratulations!I am excited to hear what will come out of the 3 months of music, propellor

i'm finally getting stuff done regarding the band I'm starting: writing songs, etc. we actually did a performance a while ago for an event organized by my school's QSA but I don't have the video and we never recorded it. It was my first actual attempt at using ableton and I made a very postal service-sounding cover of "I was born a unicorn"
do you think Maniac Foxy is a good name for a band? Or Airplane Feelings?

anywayyy i have an actual question which is, do any of you know of like, pretty cheap midi controllers that have buttons big enough to be played as a drum set? I've decided that live drums are really fun but I don't have room for """""Real drums""""" acoustic ones or whatevs, so I am looking for a simple midi controller. Or, do the drums that you can buy for those video games like Rock Band or Guitar Hero work as midi controllers? I often see those at thrift stores so I'm thinking that may be a solution idk what i am looking for sorry to bother yall with this ^~^

They do work as midi controllers but really shitty ones...
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 19 Jun 2014 08:13

ph00tbag wrote:
JSynth wrote:Has anyone here had the experience where someone says something like "I love your song" on your worst song.

All the fucking time.

The most played thing on my soundcloud (340-ish plays I think) is probably my least inventive song. All them lazy digigrain II basses, it was back when I though Pinnacle Records wasn't a massive circle jerk rip-off of a real label, so a lot of it was rushed as balls, it's not my wooorst worst song though, that was probably the remix I tried to make for Remix War 4. Literally nothing was on time, I knew no music theory whatsoever, didn't know the mixer in FL scrolled past 8 channels and everything was just ugh
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby eery » 19 Jun 2014 08:38

My most listened to and most favorited song(like 900 something plays, 30 something favorites) was a jungle remix of stop the bats. I had spent no effort on it, and the only reason it was a think was because I wanted to participate in a toastbeard.

I found a solution though, delete dat shit. Bom, no more worries.
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby ExoBassTix » 19 Jun 2014 09:12

Of all work I currently have on my Soundcloud (I still have to unhide some tracks by getting my pro back), my track Don't Let Me Go has the most listens (Wanna Make You See topped it, but it's hidden damnit). It's clipping to fuck, and has yet to be re-released (which of course won't happen unless I decide I wanna fix it).

Outside of tracks of my Don't Let Me Go EP, I think either my R&R submission (collab remix of Omnipony - Final Night; Nightmare Night) or my work in progress of Deep Night Sky has most listens. I really hate the former, and the latter is a work in progress. Enough said.

Then again I don't mind that much. It'd be cool to see some more activity on my Xalpheon account but eh, I guess I'll wait it out haha.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 19 Jun 2014 12:55

On both sound cloud accounts of mine, no song has ever reached 100 plays. :/ but one song of mine which was featured on EQD has over 500 which is more than the total number of song plays I have on my second account which was made last winter.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby ph00tbag » 19 Jun 2014 14:13

Probably my most viewed original work, without the benefit of an EqD feature post, (Interstellar Alicorn, at over 2k views), is just terrible. The kick is too loud in relation to the bassline, the mixing is all over the place, the melody is terrible, and the transitions do nothing to manage energy levels. I really only released it as a matter of discipline to make sure I was finishing stuff rather than just abandoning it. Then everyone thought it was the greatest thing. I felt like I was being really dishonest.

Meanwhile, both versions of Unnatural have less than 300 views combined.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Stuntddude » 19 Jun 2014 20:28

So I really am literally the only musician in existence who doesn't have this problem? :/

My most well-received song is my personal favorite that I've made, and the second most well-received is the one I'm third most proud of.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Cutie Mark: { }

Postby Acsii » 19 Jun 2014 22:01

Stuntddude wrote:So I really am literally the only musician in existence who doesn't have this problem? :/

My most well-received song is my personal favorite that I've made, and the second most well-received is the one I'm third most proud of.

but what if you're proud of them because they have so many views...
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 19 Jun 2014 23:21

Acsii wrote:
Stuntddude wrote:So I really am literally the only musician in existence who doesn't have this problem? :/

In this case, the problem is still kind of solved for that person.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Acsii » 20 Jun 2014 00:29

Bronies Are Cool wrote:
Acsii wrote:

In this case, the problem is still kind of solved for that person.

Oh yea...
Acsii

Postby topitmunkeydog » 20 Jun 2014 02:41

Acsii wrote:They do work as midi controllers but really shitty ones...

what do you mean by this? what makes them like, less than favourable to be used as midi controllers
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Postby Acsii » 20 Jun 2014 03:43

topitmunkeydog wrote:
Acsii wrote:They do work as midi controllers but really shitty ones...

what do you mean by this? what makes them like, less than favourable to be used as midi controllers

they double trigger. meaning that when you hit say the red pad the blue one triggers too... also they break easily.
Acsii

Postby Acsii » 20 Jun 2014 07:10

For those not following my synth builds: The Droner (My first production synth) now has a fully working prototype A model. When I get the chance I will create a video of it producing sound.
Acsii

Postby ExoBassTix » 20 Jun 2014 08:02

Niiiiiiice! Looking forward to that!
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 20 Jun 2014 14:45

I also cannot wait to see this.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby S.P.P » 20 Jun 2014 17:11

I'm teaching myself to DJ. With regards to controllers, do I actually NEED them? In which case, I'm running Traktor. Will the Traktor iPhone device be sufficient?
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby LFP » 20 Jun 2014 19:21

Pyrelight wrote:I'm teaching myself to DJ. With regards to controllers, do I actually NEED them? In which case, I'm running Traktor. Will the Traktor iPhone device be sufficient?

It depends, most DJing is actually very easy like super easy, which means that you could totally do with iPhone device, however you might slip with your finger or miss something so I wouldn't recommend it ^^

That being said you probably won't be allowed to DJ anywhere unless you have industry standard stuff because everyone is like "buuu you don't take it seriously?!".
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby ExoBassTix » 21 Jun 2014 05:40

Pyrelight wrote:I'm teaching myself to DJ. With regards to controllers, do I actually NEED them? In which case, I'm running Traktor. Will the Traktor iPhone device be sufficient?

If you don't use a controller you'd be mouse-mixing. Good luck with beatmatching.
If you have a very stable WiFi connection on your iPhone and computer, you could try. As Le Fap said though, it's tiny and you can easily slip your finger or accidentally press or turn something which could have shit effect on the mix.

About the industry standard, you don't have to worry of not being allowed to play in clubs. They either have 4 CDJ2000-Nexus and a DJM900-Nexus themselves (if they do, make sure you can practice on those devices somehow, and use Rekordbox (free software) to prepare your USBs with the tracks), or you can bring your own stuff. That usually goes well, and I've seen it happen a lot (not in commercial scenes obviously, then you'll get laughed at ha n00b).
Except, maaaaybe not if you use your iPhone as controller.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby S.P.P » 21 Jun 2014 07:21

Well I would have though the Traktor app is very well ergonomically designed to be used easily as a controller. I'll give it a go and if it doesn't happen for me, I'll have a cheeky browse on eBay. I'm fairly sure that only Traktor hardware can interface with Traktor software though..
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby eery » 21 Jun 2014 07:28

Nah. I have a friend that made a makeshift dj controller out of a korg nanokontroll and an akai mpk mini before he got a real one. s all midi n shit.
eery
Global Moderator

Postby ExoBassTix » 21 Jun 2014 10:20

If "it's a necro" is enough reason that no other variable can make mods not lock a thread, enable an auto-lock on threads that have inactivity for longer than X time. 4 months or so.

Because every time someone makes a valuable and reasonable contribution to an old thread, however legit it is, it gets locked.
Unless it's a (reasonable) revival, like with Toastbeard, or a thread moved from the locked archive sections. How is that not lock-inducing?
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby eery » 21 Jun 2014 10:40

You say that, but you were the one to report it?

Besides, theres threads it makes sense to keep it up, and most of the time, it doesnt matter, since the forum gets low activity anyways. Idk, take it up with the one locking it if its an issue?
eery
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion