How Have Your Musical Tastes Changed?

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

How Have Your Musical Tastes Changed?

Postby Conduit » 29 Jan 2013 11:47

How have your musical tastes changed over time?
Do you still listen to the same stuff you did when you went through puberty?
Did the music you listened to as a kid influence what you produce now?
ITT post your musical tastes, and how different they are from when you were younger.

Age 8-9:
-Three Days Grace, Linkin Park, Billy Talent, and other assorted punk / alternative rock

Age 12-15
-Metal, but never anything too hard, or with screamed vocals. Mostly Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my Valentine, and Atreyu. I also started playing guitar at this point.

Age 15-16
-This is where I am now, and my musical tastes have expanded enormously in the past year. The most listened to genre's for me now are EDM (as a whole, not naming sub-genres), Jazz, Classical, Hip-hop, Film Score, Indie Rock, and the occasional metal song. As soon as I started producing I noticed that the amount of music I exposed myself too grew, I gave genre's like hip-hop and rap that I had previously hated a chance, and found that some parts of them were actually really cool. I think the brony community is also partly responsible for this.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Re: How Have Your Musical Tastes Changed?

Postby itroitnyah » 29 Jan 2013 12:12

I started out liking Evanescence and Green Day (not to mention The Beach Boys and the Beatles, lol), then I started liking pop, and now I'm dubstep and starting to like house.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby FlyingNinjaBannanas » 29 Jan 2013 12:38

Ages 5-8: What I assumed to be Minimalist Techno, and few pop songs.
Ages 8-12: Grew into more of the Minimalist Techno genre and I also gave rock and various similar genres a chance and rather enjoyed them.
Ages 12-13: Basic steps into EDM and Dubstep. I didn't care for genre in this age, only if the song was good. I got exposed to various genres at this age.
Ages 14-Now: Brony music has introduced me to most types of EDM which I grew in enjoy. I also started giving rap a chance, and grew more into indie music.

I haven't really changed my tastes. More so I was exposed to new genres and styles, which I've either grown to love or hate. The only genre that's changed for me is rap. I grew beyond my hate of the genre as a whole due to the mainstream music and recognized the indie section of it all.
[Insert pointless filler here]
FlyingNinjaBannanas

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Jack of All Trades

Postby Magnitude Zero » 29 Jan 2013 14:30

Grew up listening to bands like U2, My Chemical Romance, Green Day, and Simple Plan (yeah, I know). Later on I got into heavier "mosh"-type metal/rock (I don't know genres), and then settled in the middle with Silverstein, Bullet for my Valentine, and Avenged Sevenfold. A few years into that I started smoking weed (lol) which got me into bands like Sublime, Pink Floyd, and a some other classic rock/prog-rock bands. Then my friend introduced me to Pendulum, and suddenly I was hooked on electronic music. Nowadays I listen to a lot of DnB, trance, movie-soundtrack style stuff, some dubstep and EDM, a bit of rap/hip-hop, and classical. Also starting to get back into rock and metal, mostly progressive this time around (Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, etc).
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby LoreRD » 29 Jan 2013 14:35

Early years = Pop-rock/New wave/Alternative
Later years = Pop-rock/New wave/Alternative/Hard Rock/Metal
Now = Pop-rock/New wave/Alternative/Hard Rock/Metal/Everything else
Last edited by LoreRD on 29 Jan 2013 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
DAW: Logic Pro Studio 9 | VSTs: Komplete 9 Ultimate
Piano Improvisations, Electro-orchestral-alternative instrumentals/remixes, drummer
Youtube | SoundCloud | tumblr
Brony Musician Directory
Thanks to Makkon for the avatar
LoreRD

Postby Nine Volt » 29 Jan 2013 14:35

8-10 - Nothing really. I just liked whatever my mom said was good, lol.

10-12 - Metal, starting with Linkin Park and going to Slipknot and Disturbed, then later Rise Against.

13 - 15 - Started getting in to dubstep, then house, then various other kinds of EDM. Also started getting in to (good) experimental, pop, country, and rap. This is where I'm at now, I really can't say I dislike any kinds of music except maybe stupid shit like speedcore or cybergrind or drone or whatever.
Nine Volt

Postby colortwelve » 29 Jan 2013 18:54

Age 5-7: Classic rock.
Age 8-12: Pop, alternative.
Age 12-14: Alternative, thrash metal, nu-metal, progressive rock.
Age 14-16: Alternative, thrash metal, death metal, progressive rock/metal, house, IDM, drum and bass.
Age 17: Classic rock, alternative, death metal, progressive rock/metal, house, IDM, drum and bass, dubstep/bass music, ambient, orchestral/soundtrack, pop, hip-hop, whatever the fuck Renard makes.

Basically, I went from only liking what my parents listened to onto appreciating EDM genres and then onto basically everything that's not noise.
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Motivfs » 29 Jan 2013 19:52

Age 5-9: Classic rock, 80's dance
Age 10-13: Pop, alternative.
Age 14-15: Heavy metal, metal, alternative.
Age 16: Progressive House
Age 17-Now: Drum & Bass(For the full 5 years), Glitch-Hop, Complextro, French House/Electro, & then out of nowhere, 30's swing.
Last edited by Motivfs on 29 Jan 2013 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
Motivfs

Postby Stu Beef » 29 Jan 2013 20:13

~0-6 (stuff that was on the radio)

~7-13 (stuck up metal head phase [whatever my brother listened to]=death to false metal; can't spell crap without rap etc.)

let it be known that I also really dug the soundtrack for the Tony Hawk games, and that was pretty much all the exposure I had to punk up until very recently.

~13-18 (the evolution of a metal head. Harder stuff, softer stuff, etc.)

(I prefer the demo, honestly)

let it be known that I ALWAYS loved the ballads. The Bard's Song made me want to learn guitar.

More recently: way too much

I delved deeper (so deep) into jazz and got kinda bored. I made amends with Hip Hop and it is currently my most listened to style of music. I listen to stuff with old man instruments (Stravinsky and Debussy are some of my favorite composers). I have a greater appreciation/understanding of dance and pop and DnB makes my booty quake. I branched out into metal more and decided to look into bands that weren't 30 years old. The core of my intellectual taste became incredibly esoteric; so avant-garde that it transcends human enjoyment.

Also, Pain of Salvation has remained my favorite band for 7 years, close to tying with Blind Guardian's 8 years.

Go listen to BE it's fantastic:

e. this post gave me nostalgia trip, thanks OP
Stu Beef

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 29 Jan 2013 20:57

<4 years ago: idk, sh** on the radio

4 years ago: maybe power metal sometimes and sorta punk (?)

(Idk??? For some reason this period of time is hazy for me)

3 years ago: Trance, and maybe a few other genres I didn't recognize.

2 years ago: Skrillex, UKF, WUBWUBWUB. Didn't delve much deeper, apart from some happy hardcore

Now: Everything electronic. F4ckin' EVERYTHING.

This information has a 60-70% chance of being horribly incorrect.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby CommandSpry » 29 Jan 2013 21:14

I never really stopped liking any of the music I liked, even as a kid. I had a huge love for Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple ever since I was a little kid, listening to my father's CDs and Vinyls. I also love a lot of my and surrounding country's artists you haven't heard of, like Divlje Jagode, SMAK, YU Grupa, Bijelo Dugme, Atomsko Sklonište, Parni Valjak, and then I loved pop like Michael Jackson, Tina Turner, some songs from Blondie, then I moved on to Dire Straits, Toto, Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, Bob Marley.

I played loads of FIFA 2002 and so I got to love a lot of trance artists, Cirrus, Goryella, Terpsichord, the guys whose tunes I've heard thousands of times in "Create a team" mode, then Tiesto, Daft Punk, etc.

I then got much love for metal from Need for Speed Most Wanted, music like Disturbed, a7x, the likes, also from Underground DnB and stuff, I like Pendulum/KP from the mainstream, Noisia, but I also like lots of undergrounds like Traxx project and stuff.

I took a big interest in classical music, and I've been listening to Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Handel, Bach, Vivaldi, Edvard Grieg, but also some local choir composers such as Stevan Stojanović Mokranjac.

I started listening to more Reggae, then I discovered some of the artists like Alan Parsons, Gotye, Men at Work, but also Hamerfall, Kamelot. I then got very interested in old dance music, and I've gone back to many tracks of the genious Vice City OST, people like Evelyn King, Fat Larry's Band, The Whispers, Oliver Cheatham, etc.

I didn't like dubstep for the longest time but I can stand a select few tracks only. Absolutely can't stand PEW PEW laser drops.

I still like ALL of that music and there's like 40000 other things I haven't listed.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.

hello I'm spry wobbler lol I'm
CommandSpry

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: wobbler

Postby ghelded_kultz » 29 Jan 2013 21:22

Before 8th grade (so I guess 0-13)- Didn't listen to much music. Listened to occasional nu metal stuff from a friend and my parents music (which they didn't play nearly as much when I was a kid), but we listened to NPR on the radio so very little pop music= So mostly new wave, 80s alt (They Might Be Giants for the win), Slovakian polka (on the radio).

8th grade (14 ish)- Above but wider depth.

9th-10th Grade- Above plus trance, viking metal/folk metal, VGM, beginning of liking indie, celtic punk (my first real foray into punk), filk/nerd rock (Jonathon Coulton)

11th grade (16/17)-Most of the above but with less metal and trance, chiptune, punk, hardcore punk, grunge, more indie, slowcore!, some dubstep (the older stuff), dark ambient, black metal, sludge metal, protopunk, neoclassical darkwave,

Summer before 12th grade- Above plus slightly more brostep/complextro, industrial metal, experimental post-hardcore, easy to listen to noise rock.

12 grade- All of the above+ No wave/ harsher noise rock/power electronics/noise, grindcore, dream pop/shoegaze, chillwave, gypsy punk, some IDM, acid house (which is the best type of house), ska punk, etc

So yeah. My tastes have grown exponentially. I like cheesy, poppy stuffy a lot less than I used to though. And I no longer claim to like "only classical" (or even classical for that matter).
"Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating." - John Cage

Trolls and makers of bad music, thats us!
http://soundcloud.com/ghelded-kultz/tracks
ghelded_kultz

Postby Mister Tulip » 29 Jan 2013 22:28

Let's see... From an extremely early age, I was brought up on whatever popular stuff was on the radio. My mother calls it soft rock, but I have no idea of the official classification.

At the age of about 6 or 7, I decided that that stuff was actually terrible actually, and started loving classical music. I also liked a lot of the video game soundtracks I was listening to at the time (Empire Earth, Freedom Force, Civilization 2, and a few other games like that)

Over the next long time, pretty much nothing changed except that I played a much greater variation of video games. I actively avoided any music outside my classical/video-game-soundtrack comfort zone, including watching pretty much everything on Youtube with the volume off unless I knew it only had music I liked, and I hated the stuff my mother listened to in the car when I didn't push her into switching to the classical station, so pretty much nothing changed about my tastes. Also, because of my bad experiences, I developed a pretty major blanket dislike of any music with vocals which wasn't obviously comedic (which allowed most of the stuff my father played for me to get through because it tended to be comedic)

At some point I started realizing that some people put commentary on their videos instead of terrible music, but I was good enough at figuring out who did that that I still didn't really hear any genres that I didn't already have a definite opinion on.

On March 3rd, 2011, I watched Stokenut's perspective on his Nex duo with Woox (all of which is meaningless to people who don't play Runescape, but it should help you look up the video if you actually care that much, which I suspect nobody will). For some reason which I don't concretely remember, but which I suspect was related to a misjudgement of whether it would have commentary, I actually watched it with the sound on, and shockingly, I liked the music, which lead me to end up discovering a few musicians I liked on Newgrounds, all of whom stayed in the general techno/trance genre.

From there, although my music library was slowly expanding, nothing big happened in terms of my genre tastes until late 2011/early 2012, when I discovered the brony music scene. I distinctly remember that the first bit of music I liked from this fandom was Friendship Symphony #1, but eventually I started looking at pretty much anything which appeared in an instrumental music post on Equestria Daily (remember, blanket hate of noncomedic vocals).

After hearing a song on GiantMosquito's livestream which i didn't recognize (The Wonderbolts Show, if anyone cares), I asked for a link, but instead got a link to a huge playlist of music from the fandom, because the guy doing the linking didn't recognize it. I listened through the whole playlist, and ended up with a sizable collection of songs from the fandom, although I still avoided vocal stuff. Although I still had genre preferences, there were so many different genres in there that I basically gave up on trying to classify them, because I'm too lazy to actually try to figure out what the genres are on most of the songs I listen to.

Finally, I heard Wooden Overture, which compelled me to listen to Rainbow Factory despite the presence of vocals. That managed to break through my dislike of vocal music, and while it took a while, eventually I stopped minding the presence of vocals even from people who weren't named WoodenToaster (although, weirdly enough, I still disliked vocal splicing, just not fully sung things). Since then, although I've seen WAY more stuff from the fandom, nothing major has changed, apart from maybe a slight concession on the subject of vocal splicing after hearing Sleep and Boooring! from Balloon Party: I still don't like it in general, but I now admit that, if done well (which it almost never is), it can actually improve a song.
Zarfot wrote:*This post intentionally left blank, although the the presence of this sentence means that this isn't true, good fight*
Mister Tulip

Postby ghelded_kultz » 29 Jan 2013 23:35

I've always disliked Rap and have always liked older Alternative and Showtunes, but I didn't listen to a lot of music until a few years ago. I got into Metal, Punk, and other Rock, which are stuff I like the most now, as well as more experimental stuff. I think my like for Pop spike for moment, but it has since gone way down, and I think my like for various genres of Electronic Music has been rapidly fluctuating. I think I've always been neutral on Jazz and Classical and the like, liking it passively, but not actively seeking it out, though I enjoy fusions of them with Rock.

Nine Volt wrote:10-12 - Metal, starting with Linkin Park and going to Slipknot and Disturbed, then later Rise Against.

Did you just call Raise Against a Metal band? They are freaking Punk!

-Soft D. String DeHooves
"Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating." - John Cage

Trolls and makers of bad music, thats us!
http://soundcloud.com/ghelded-kultz/tracks
ghelded_kultz

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 30 Jan 2013 00:24

Age: 0 - 14: I literally listened to no music by choice.

14 - 14 and a bit: "oooh, this 'dubstep' thing is neat"

Now: A little of everything.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby topitmunkeydog » 30 Jan 2013 21:28

oh god so much

before 6th grade: whatever my parents were listening to. Specifically, Lyle Lovett, Louis Prima, Acoustic Alchemy, Paul Simon, and a whole lot of weird french music.

6th grade: The soundtrack to Star Wars

7th: classical music. I refused to listen to anything else. I didn't really have friends then.

1st half of 8th: Coldplay and Globus

2nd half of 8th: Sigur Ros, Coldplay, Globus, and classic rock stuff

It was only this summer that I started really trying to discover music. I actually ran a music blog and some of the posts make it really obvious how naïve I was.

9th grade (as of now): EVERYTHING. Seriously, I like pretty much all the music except not mainstream pop, or rap, or boy bands. But everything else is cool.

Golly gee, I was such a snob when I listened to only classical music. Then I found this band Two Steps from Hell who made sort of neoclassical epic anthems, and through them I found Globus, which makes like rock versions of such songs. Then I saw a great lego video which introduced me to Coldplay. It is from here that I was further introduced to indie music and stuff. I still listen to classical music though because all my quiz bowl friends listen to it exclusively and go to concerts and stuff. Although I discovered that now I can't stand most of it. I hate most baroque and "classical." Romantic era is pretty cool though, but my favorite is modernist and impressionist music like Debussy and Satie. Of course this is the area when classical begins crossing the boundary into other genres, and that's not something I am willing to talk about.
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Postby Legion » 30 Jan 2013 22:20

7-9: i seriously have no idea what i listened to then, whatever my parents listened to I guess. My dad has a huge musical pallette, so I was exposed to it all.

9-12: Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Linkin Park, etc. Lots of alt rock and such. Maybe some classic rock thrown in there. Fun fact: the first album I ever owned was American Idiot, my second was The Black Parade (still my favorite album ever).

13-14: Pretty much exclusively hip hop and rock. Started when my older cousins showed me Eminem and Kid Cudi while we were on vacation, I fell in love with Man on the Moon and Recovery.

15: This is when I started to get into EDM after I found the pony fandom. Tombstone, Jackle, all those guys really helped me discover it. Lots of bass music. LOTS of brosteppy stuff in particular.

16: I've started to shift away from dubstep and such (as my music shows), and go into the more melodic side of EDM. Namely, house, electropop, chillout, and Eurobeat. Though I still listen to most forms of it on and off, my consumption of rock has been reduced to a minimum, hip hop sorta in the middle.
Legion

Postby TheMalenEst » 31 Jan 2013 13:27

6-9: I don't really remember that well but i started to listening to trance and deadmau5 when he released his first album in 2006.

9-12: Still listened to trance and started to listen to more electronic music. but also Muse and Rise against and other :P

13-14: Guns n roses, The Who, queen, Pendulum and country. i think this is where i also started to watch MLP and listen to fanmade music

15: Lots and lots of dubstep, DNB, hardstyle you name it :P

16 -17: I'm starting to go away from dubstep and listening to more Glitch hop, Liquid Dnb, Shoegaze, Post- rock, ambient, psybient, chillout and more melodic progressive house and trance.
My Soundcloud for my Wip's and Previews, but also full songs.
My YouTube Come by and listen to my music :3 Maybe you find something you like.
Deviantart Abstract Art

shingeki no kyojin is best anime/manga
TheMalenEst

Primary: FL Studio 10, Logic
Cutie Mark: AnjunaLogo

Postby Pix31 » 31 Jan 2013 23:41

9-15: Pop music mostly. Don't remember and don't really care to remember.

16-18: Got more into metal, had a really fondness for Viking metal and Dragonforce. I also started to listen to Daft Punk but didn't really get into them for a few years.

19-20: Techno, Trance, and Hardstyle though I mostly only listened to the generic stuff, and I knew none of the artists. I so started listening to classic rock at times.

21-23: Breakcore, breakbeats, trap, Jcore, psytrance, gltich hop, and probably a few other underground ones or mix and mashes of those.
DAW: Renoise / FL Studio for Mastering
Genre: Nu Style, J-Core and UK Hardcore
VSTs: Bags full
Current Projects: Constructing Additional Pylons

Soundcloud
Pix31

Postby senntenial » 01 Feb 2013 00:33

2-11 Mostly older stuff or 90s pop. Like man go listen to Basia, she's fantastic. Also loved this one song by B52s... what was it something from planet something. I listened to a lot of NPR classical music all throughout my life, and started piano around this time.
11-13/14 Started producing, thought everything was just techno. I didn't understand Venetian snares
15/16 Pretty much came to love anything that was original and well done. I love breakcore, dubstep, classical, some pop, some rap, etc. I don't think there are bad genres, only bad musicians.
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Postby Raddons » 01 Feb 2013 06:48

I've listened to dubstep exclusively my whole life.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 01 Feb 2013 07:08

I can count the songs I willingly listened to as a child on ONE hand.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Mesogears » 17 Feb 2013 00:28

I don't remember exact ages, so I'll go by grade level.

Early grade school: Pop, pop, and more pop. Basically, whatever was on the radio in my mom's car.
Late grade school: Still mostly pop, but discovering other forms of music.
Early middle school: Classic rock (it was pretty much all I listened to, since I had just discovered Guitar Hero).
Late middle school: Rock in general, mostly classic rock
Early high school: Metalcore, alt-rock (stuff like KsE, All That Remains, Fall Out Boy, Green Day, AFI, etc.) and some electronic.
Late high school: Rock and metal, mostly progressive stuff like Rush and Dream Theater. Started listening to Porcupine Tree senior year (best decision ever).
Now: Everything I previously listed, with the addition of electronic and orchestral (classical included), and even some rap.
"Melodyne is the glue that holds our vocals together."
~vladnuke
https://soundcloud.com/mgmusic19/vision-of-before-featfritzybeat

For clarity's sake, Mesogears = The Lunar Conspiracy
Mesogears

Cutie Mark: Drums

Postby LFP » 17 Feb 2013 11:00

0-10 pretty much anything.. Didn't care that much
10-14 started getting into orchestra and more classical stuff
14-16 started getting into dubstep and other types of EDM really liked it
16-17+(now) shifted away from dubstep (i really cant listen to a pure dubstep track anymore other than a selected few ._.) and gone into more hybrid genres which shares a more melodic and emotional feeling, still love orchestra and ambience stuff! :3
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Navron » 17 Feb 2013 11:37

My tastes have always been way over the place. My dad bought me Tool's Lateralus when I was like, 12, but I didn't even get into Tool until I was 14-15.

Grades 6-8
I've listened to the likes of Eminem and Limp Bizkit because however many "Parental Advisory," CDs you had, the cooler you were back then.

About the same time was when they still had Redbook Audio for games, so I routinely listened to the soundtracks for MechWarrior 2, Descent, Heavy Gear, etc. Pretty much any game that had a good soundtrack and registered more than 2 tracks on my CD player, I'd listen to it on the bus rides to school.

Grades 9-12
That got me more into soundscapes and progressive rock, which is when I started listening to Tool, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Opeth, etc, although I didn't like death metal for the vocals, with the exception of Opeth due to the crazy musicality behind them.

Early Navy (19-21y/o)
Started listening to more electronic. Crystal Method, Prodigy, and Shpongle were some of my favorites, later on listening to more choral and classical music.

Mid-Navy (21-23y/o)
Started listening to a mix of metal and electronic. Discovered Mastodon, nearly jizzed my pants.

Mid-Navy to Present Navy
Discovered dubstep, trance, and other EDM genres. Currently listen to just about anything.

Note there's one genre of music I never really got into.......Country
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion