Leaving for a While

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Leaving for a While

Postby Ed Viper » 27 Aug 2012 15:49

Things have happened with my father recently (today), and I have been given no other choice but to cut off all ties with everyone.

ALL ties.

I'm closing my YouTube, Soundcloud, Tumblr, Steam, etc. accounts. Permanently.

I have not seen any reason yet to close my Skype account, so if for any reason, you see it necessary to contact me, there will still be a way for you to do that.

I am also quitting music completely, or at least for a few years. I will probably even stop watching MLP. I've been told by my father that at this point, if I do ANY single thing that he doesn't agree with, my life is over, and I'm living on the street. As much as I'd like to spite him and just leave myself, I really can't do that. So, I'm cutting my losses and moving on.

I apologize to Freewave and all the BMD for not being as big of a help as I could have been. Feel free to remove me from the staff at any time, as I will not be able to continue on with my duties.

For those who don't have me on skype, I suppose this is goodbye. For a while, at least. I'm gonna miss MLR. Even though it's become filled with twats lately, those of you who are actually helpful really did help me get better at music. I'd never have gotten as far as I did with music (admittedly not far, but that's on me) without you guys.

I'll miss this place, and, reluctantly, I click "Logout" for what may be the last time.

Goodbye, all. It was damn fun while it lasted. I hope you all carry on to be great musicians, and have success in your field.
Soundcloud
Tumblr

If you ever need someone to talk to -

That's all I got right now.
Ed Viper

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Charlie Sheen

Re: Leaving for a While

Postby soup2504 » 27 Aug 2012 18:13

EmpUbermensch wrote:I've been told by my father that at this point, if I do ANY single thing that he doesn't agree with, my life is over, and I'm living on the street.

Reading this part right here pisses me off. That's just not right.

While your reasoning behind doing this was rather vague, or, well, pretty much non-existent, I hope things work out for you, regardless of what the problem is.
soup2504

Postby bartekko » 27 Aug 2012 18:47

soup2504 wrote:Reading this part right here pisses me off. That's just not right.

I really don't know how possibly some parents may be like that. It's not like humans are robots which don't have needs.

I wish you luck, Emp.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Matthew N. » 27 Aug 2012 18:52

I am fucking speechless, and I am not even going to pretend I am not shocked / mad-angry and censor my words. Such a behaviour coming from a parent? That's just outrageous, whatever the reason stands behind it. I would never allow anyone to tell me what to do and what not to, even if it meant my "beloved" parents throwing me out and forcing me to stay at my friend's for some time. I'd force them to realize how dumb and irresponsible it was for them to even consider throwing me out. I simply hope it's just a big man's talk...

This is so over the damn top... God, I hate people like that.
Matthew N.

Postby vladnuke » 27 Aug 2012 19:05

Holy fucking shit that's ridiculous. What the fuck is up with your dad, bro? What could cause him to act like this?
vladnuke

Postby Freewave » 27 Aug 2012 19:13

I've know Emp has been having issues for awhile with his dad cutting him off from the internet and watching his every move but i really hoped that it wouldn't come to head like this and that he wouldn't be such a tool. I guess you're kind of stuck if your parent is a hater and your not free from them yet. Best of luck Emp. You are 18, hopefully get out of there soon. Not for ponies, not for music, but for yourself. You will be missed by us on BMD and hopefully MLR....

crap.... :( this just sucks so much
Last edited by Freewave on 27 Aug 2012 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby colortwelve » 27 Aug 2012 19:17

Sigh...

Yeah, it was a hell of a time while it lasted, wasn't it? It was great being able to meet you, both here and in person.

And here's hoping that you can deal with whatever's to come for you. And that once you break out, you make a better life for yourself than your father could ever imagine.

Live long, and fucking prosper.
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby bmo13 » 27 Aug 2012 19:18

FUCK! THIS PISSES ME OFF TO NO END! PEOPLE CAN BE SUCH INFERNAL PRICKS. I'm a so sorry for everything. I wish there was something I could do. Anyways, I don't feel like forgetting about you forever, we've had to much fun with music all. Heres my number, Keep in touch. ;_;

(1-781-775-6074)
B-13
bmo13

Postby WavesOfParadox » 27 Aug 2012 19:22

He just said he's not coming back on MLR, you'd best put that on skype
YouTube
SoundCloud

Haiti Charity Album
Haiti Charity Album

"A good composer does not imitate; he steals."
-Igor Stravinsky
WavesOfParadox

Postby 3M0 DJ » 27 Aug 2012 19:26

Wow... Just wow. This is messed up. I don't even know what to say. I'm speechless. I'm gonna miss you buddy. I hope everything works out.

EDIT: This was my 69th post. :/
Last edited by 3M0 DJ on 30 Aug 2012 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are too manestream.

SoundCloud
YouTube
Tumblr

3M0 DJ

Postby CDPP » 27 Aug 2012 19:35

Shit, I was hoping it wouldn't turn out like this...

All the best man, really hoping your dad has a change of heart.
CDPP

Postby Magnitude Zero » 27 Aug 2012 19:49

I didn't know you that well, nor do I know the full story, but goddamn those kinds of parents piss me off. I have a very close friend whose parents are just like that, and I know how miserable they can make their kids. I don't know if you'll read this, but I'm really sorry you have to go through this and I hope things turn out alright.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 27 Aug 2012 19:57

*deleted because accidental repost*
Last edited by ChromaticChaosPony on 27 Aug 2012 20:06, edited 3 times in total.
ChromaticChaosPony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 27 Aug 2012 20:04

I wish I could give your dad a piece of my mind, but it sadly isn't my place to do that. I wish you the best of luck Emp. We'll all miss you.

BTW: piece of my mind = sledgehammer to both kneecaps

I hate parents that act like that, as my own parents treat my older brother that way (he's an idiot and almost flunking school, but their behavior towards him is fairly shitty). I hope your dad lightens up and stops being such a prick.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Pinkydash » 27 Aug 2012 20:16

It really boggles my mind to try to understand why such parents exist, do they not give a fuck about their own child's well being? I have quite a few friends who have such parents, and some of them have already successfully escaped their hellish guardians, while the others are planning their escape.

Don't ever fully submit to these idiotic people. It's not easy, but stay strong, and one day you'll be free from their hellish grip. When you do, the brony community will still be here, waiting for you.
Pinkydash

Postby Habanc » 27 Aug 2012 21:06

I wish I could have talked to ya more mate (although I know you'll probably never read this, but who cares?), but it seems life has thrown you a curve ball. Just keep your head up and try to enjoy what you can do until you're able to move out. Even if he doesn't realize how much he's screwing up your life for the moment, doesn't mean he can't suck all the joy out of it.

Unless there is some major part to the story you've left out (I'm not trying to blame you, but I really can't throw words around without acknowledging that point first.), your father just seems non-conformist, narrow-minded and shallow. And, really... There is no reasoning with those type of people and the best you can do is deal with their crap for the moment and find a way to move on. Shit like this makes me furious but it's just a part of life and we have to find ways to cope with it. I feel for you and I wish you the best of luck.
DAW: FL 10 | Main VSTs: Zebra2, Massive, Nexus | Genres: Progressive House & Electro House
Habanc

Postby Quix » 27 Aug 2012 21:20

Shit, man, I enjoyed you being here on MLR. I hope you can make the best out of what you're given, and get the hell out of there when you're ready to leave. I hope to see you around some time in the future.
Quix

Primary: Ableton Live 9

Postby LFP » 27 Aug 2012 23:42

.... it's just so unfair.

Good luck with your future plans, studies everything..

I'll miss you ;(
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Applejinx » 28 Aug 2012 02:06

I am an adult and possibly older than EmpUbermensch's father, and this is abuse.

Be strong and survive- one day you will grow up and be truly free if you take surviving seriously enough.

And you don't have to wait until the old bastard dies, either- all you have to do is what most people already do in a lesser way, build a life that does not depend in any way on your family, and live it.

I am always weirded out when I see folks who clearly depend a huge amount on their parents/aunts/uncles/what have you, who derive such total sustenance from kin that they fall apart when there's sickness or death: it makes no sense to me because I didn't grow up that way. You'll be more like me- condolences man.

Own that, and move on. We'll try to keep poni alive for however many years it takes you to be free. You SHALL be free. :)
Applejinx

Postby LunchBagMusic » 28 Aug 2012 02:21

I'm having bad emotions over this. Emp, we'll miss you.

Your 18 now, your dad ain't gonna be a problem for much longer. Ride out the storm and stay strong.

Keep the music with you.
LunchBagMusic

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 28 Aug 2012 10:30

Your father is a dick. Karma be due to him, in my eyes.

Good luck. You'll be missed.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby CommandSpry » 28 Aug 2012 11:30

Okay all of you are quick to announce how unfair it is, and I do think it's really unfair, but keep in mind that you will probably be parents one day and won't understand some of the things your kids will do. His father understands that this MLP is totally irrelevant as well as making music on the computer so he is cutting it off from his life with force in order to take this time and do something that he deems as more productive. Inevitably we will all want our kids to be productive, but maybe the things we see as productive today will be much different what, 10-20 years from now. His dad most likely never had internet when he was a kid, so he sees socializing over the internet as something petty and stupid. Maybe in the future there will be a new form of socializing we won't understand, I just wanted to keep that in your mind because I see you're all pretty quick to lash out at his parents. It's maybe not that he's an awful person but that he does not understand the situation.

That being said, it really sucks that it has come to this and I wish you all the luck! Hopefully, somehow, this blows over and you come back way sooner.

Or as Dolan would have put it: ok bye ^^
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.

hello I'm spry wobbler lol I'm
CommandSpry

Cutie Mark: wobbler

Postby Matthew N. » 28 Aug 2012 12:38

^

Productive, you say? In my dictionary of experience creating music is very productive; in fact, it's definitely more productive than trying to pretend you're socializing with people that nowadays put on their "faces" and just perform to the given social roles of, let's say, "a cool guy", "a funny chick" and so on. Of course that's not the case for everybody, but believe me when I say that I know a lot of people that only seem like nice persons at first, but after some time you realize how dumb of you was to think that they were on your intellectual and behavioural level.

If I had the choice of what my children were to do in their free time, I would definitely not ban them from doing what they like - especially when it involves something as freaking creative as creating music! Come on, that's just low!

I do understand that some of the older generation parents might be shocked by grown up men watching technicolor cartoon with ponies and stuff, but if what Nick says is truth (and I do not doubt that), then it's definitely across the line of reason. Of course I can't be certain that MLP was the sole - if it even was - the reason for such an act of mental aggression, but whatever Nick may or may not have done, the punishment was just too big.
Matthew N.

Postby CommandSpry » 28 Aug 2012 13:01

Matthew_N wrote:^

Productive, you say? In my dictionary of experience creating music is very productive; in fact, it's definitely more productive than trying to pretend you're socializing with people that nowadays put on their "faces" and just perform to the given social roles of, let's say, "a cool guy", "a funny chick" and so on. Of course that's not the case for everybody, but believe me when I say that I know a lot of people that only seem like nice persons at first, but after some time you realize how dumb of you was to think that they were on your intellectual and behavioural level.

If I had the choice of what my children were to do in their free time, I would definitely not ban them from doing what they like - especially when it involves something as freaking creative as creating music! Come on, that's just low!

I do understand that some of the older generation parents might be shocked by grown up men watching technicolor cartoon with ponies and stuff, but if what Nick says is truth (and I do not doubt that), then it's definitely across the line of reason. Of course I can't be certain that MLP was the sole - if it even was - the reason for such an act of mental aggression, but whatever Nick may or may not have done, the punishment was just too big.

But you're missing the point! I do think making music is productive but for his father it's just playing on the computer! He can also argue electronic music is just button pushing while rock music takes passion and skill, and there is little you can do to show him otherwise. I'm sure at least some of us will be like that in regard to some new thing that will pop up. In the father's mind, he is totally reasonable because in his mind all of this is a waste of time. Just like a father would take someone's skate or guitar away 20-30 years ago, not realizing skating and playing the guitar is an art in itself, not just mindless entertainment for many kids.

hello I'm spry wobbler lol I'm
CommandSpry

Cutie Mark: wobbler

Postby Ed Viper » 28 Aug 2012 13:05

Me here again, I found a chance to sneak on while my dad's away at work, and he hasn't put a keylogger on my computer (yet :/).

I may have a bit more time here, so let me explain my situation.

1. This doesn't have anything to do with MLP - he still doesn't know I watch it.
2. This doesn't have anything to do with music.
3. This doesn't have anything to do with socializing, on or off the internet.

From what I can tell, the "last straw" was when he told me to wash my car yesterday and I opted to take it in through a drive-thru wash instead, to save time and focus on other duties for the day. As luck would have it, he was on his way home when I did this, and pulled up right next to me while I pulled out of the parking lot. He is ultimately convinced that this will help me in the end, but I simply can't see it that way. He's never been a very "supportive" parent, and instead usually opts for a sort of "scare them out of doing bad" method to parenting.

He says I've been lying to him about nearly everything for as long as I've been alive. While, yes, I HAVE lied to him to cover up things I've done (who hasn't lied to their parents to cover up something?), it's never really been about BIG issues, mostly things such as washing my car or other similarly minor things. I guess he was just tired of it.

The way I see it, I still have to wait until I graduate college and get enough money from a job to get my own place before I can move out. That should probably take about 4 years to accomplish. It's gonna be a long 4 years.

Thank you all for your kind words. I'll be back as soon as I possibly can.
Soundcloud
Tumblr

If you ever need someone to talk to -

That's all I got right now.
Ed Viper

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Charlie Sheen

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion