Tutors (Ask Around Here Before Posting Questions)

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Tutors (Ask Around Here Before Posting Questions)

Postby Conduit » 04 Oct 2012 16:50

Anyone who has ever taken lessons for an instrument can vouch for how beneficial teachers can be. I was recently reminded of this by a video by Vespers.

Although I'm not fortunate to know of any other producers living near me, I am lucky enough to be a part of this community. I thought it would be interesting to try to set up a thread in which people could post their own skills and help others improve.

While tutorials and videos are great, actually talking to somebody, whether over skype or in person can be a huge source of both knowledge and inspiration.

[EDIT] : The response to this has been better then I ever could have hoped for. A huge thanks goes out to everyone who's contributed so far! :D

Idea:
-To allow people to both teach and learn one-on-one instead of through tutorials.

Thread rules:
-No spam.
-Post a short bio of your skills which will then be added to the OP.
-Sharing skype is helpful but not required.
-PM people that you would like to work with instead of using this page so we can keep it nice and clean.
- [edit] What DAW you use is also useful.
- Someone suggested posting your timezone. This is a great idea.

I'll update the original post occasionally with each "tutor"s bio

Bio's

Electronic Dance Music (EDM)

ΛCSII
DAW: Ableton live 8, Logic Pro 9
Genre: Celestial, Calm, kind of ambience
Strengths: Patches, Analog patches
Weaknesses: Procrastination, Massive 6.9

Alycs
Genres: General EDM, Improvisational and Classical Piano
Strengths: Basic to Advanced Music Theory (Up to and including Orchestra Notation, Modal Structure, and Counterpoint and Atonal Analysis), Synth Design in LMMS, Melody Writing, Piano Technique and Improv
Weaknesses: Drum Design, Keeping to a Specific Genre
DAW: LMMS (Waits for Lavender to yell at this)
Timezone: GMT -5:00
Contact me: PM on this forum

AdamTh3Walker
Genres: Jazz, improvisation (general), symphonic, downtempo, chillout, beat, pop, chillwave, glo-fi.
Strengths: Composition, technique and improv (piano esp.), mixing in a digital environment, general knowledge of and related to VST plugins. Most of all, patience!
So-so: Voice. I can impart precious little wisdom. I'm still learning and improving my own voice. Nevertheless, whatever I've learned, I'll be happy to pass on.
Weaknesses: Musical theory and nomenclature, mastering, synth design, sounding like "x"
DAW: Cubase 5.5
Timezone: GMT -6:00
Contact me: here (PM), Skype (adamthewalker), email ([email protected])

Bartekko
Genres: House, Drum & Bass
Stongpoints: Sound Design, Mixing, Production, Drum design, Arrangment
Weakpoints: Melody, Chord progression, Motivation
DAW: Ableton.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Genres: Moombahcore, House, Dubstep, Drum and Bass, Nuetral/chillish stuff and electro. EDM in general.
Strengths: vocal manipulation (not the skillexy melody building kind), pad design, wavetable synths, 3xOsc (don't be ashamed, it's hard to get a decent sound from that right off the bat), generic wubs if you're into that, decent melodies and good sounding drums.
So-so: Mixing, organizing projects, creativity.
Weaknesses: repetition.
DAW: FL Studio 10
Timezone: GMT +10
Contact me: PM me here, Skype (Anthony.Farrugia98), Gmail ([email protected] is my main email), Steam (NorthernFaceCraft - avatar is cheerilee with Obama's face saying "Kawaii Desu~". Like Exo said, please tell me you're from here. I'm not a mean guy, so don't be scared to show me your stuff.

Captain Ironhelm
Genres: House and Electro
Stongpoints: Sound design, melodies, and mixing
Weakpoints: live instrument performing
DAW: Fruity Loops Studio, also good with LMMS

Cyrricky
Genres: House and most subgenres thereof
Stongpoints: Sound design, melody, mixing
Weakpoints: Mastering, getting along with others
DAW: Reason 6

CrashDistortion
Genres: Ambient, Experimental, DnB, Dubstep (both oldskool dubstep and post Skrillex dubstep)
Strengths: Synth design, composing, Gray Noise FX, proper sampling, melody constructing.
Weaknesses: Mixing, using a compressor correctly, knowledge about VSTs, Not clipping

Colortwelve
Genres: House, hip-hop, IDM
Strengths: Theory, chord progressions, atmosphere
So-so: Sound design, mixing, mastering, audio manipulation
Weaknesses: Melody, structure
DAW: FL 10, Ableton
Time zone: Pacific Standard (GMT -8)

cplbradley
Genre(s): Dubstep, Electro, DnB, House, Trance, Techno, Happy Hardcore, Hands-Up, etc.
Strengths: Mixing, Composition, Drum Beats, Sick Wubs, Ass-Kicking,
Weaknesses: Too much procrastination, gives less than a single fuck
DAW: Fl Studio 9 because it's way better than FL 10

ExoBassTix
Genres (Good): Hardcore (and any speedy subgenre), Drum 'N' Bass, Hands Up, (Epic) Trance, House, Hardtechno/Schranz, Ambient House/Breaks.
Genres (Average): Chillout, Chillstep, Deep House, Minimal House, Techno, Hard Trance, Tech Dance, Bassline House, Hardstyle (and all similars), Frenchcore, Industrial Hardcore, Happy Hardcore, Darkstep/Crossbreed, Noise (and all similars), and probably more. Mainly a lot of Electronic genres.
Strengths: melody constructing, composing, Hardcore kick design in Sytrus, drumrolls, keeping a track interesting, universal (I hear if something sounds good or not, whether I like it or not), steady rhythms, suspense, teaching things.
So-so: details, terminology, properly making a bass the way I want it to be, singing.
Weaknesses: synth design, finishing a song.
DAW: FL Studio 10.0.9
Timezone: GMT +1
Contact me: PM me on this forum, mail to [email protected], or Skype (GlitchHero9724). When you contact me, please don't forget to tell me you're from MLR, that helps in knowing who suddenly asks me stuff. Also, please know, I do not bite. Don't be afraid of asking something stupid. Just because you produce music (or would like to) doesn't mean you necessarily have to know a lot about it, that's what we're all here for to help you with.

Friv
Genre(s): 99% of EDM genres excluding trap; also acoustic drums (for all genres)
Strengths: arrangement/composition; mixing; sound design; writing (to an extent)
DAW(s): FL Studio (I'm an expert with this program) and I have Ableton, but I'm not that great with it
Timezone: UTC (-8) keep track of it here: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=137
Contact (I'm leaving this forum so don't try to contact me here):
[email protected]
skype: frivolousmonkey (but my name on skype is ryan meyer)

FIMprov
Genres: Techno and derivations, Improvisational and classical piano
Strengths: Basic to intermediate music theory, chord progression, melody, mixing acoustic music (including orchestral), patience
Average: Synth design (subtractive & FM), mixing/mastering EDM, processing vocals, compression
Weaknesses: EDM drum design, complex sound design, synthesis other than subtractive or FM
DAW: Cubase 5 (main), LMMS (not so much)
Time zone: GMT-5
Contact: PM me here or add me on Skype at taylor.mp, but don't expect a quick reply the first time around.

froggy
Genres: House, Drum and Bass, Electro, Synth Music in General
Strengths: Synthesis, Sound Design, Recreating Sounds, Technical Understanding
So-So: FM Synthesis
Weaknesses: Followthrough
DAW: Ableton Live 9, Logic Pro 9
Contact me: Send me a PM, I'll add you on Skype or Steam if need be

GumsofGabby
Genres: Electronic music
Stongpoints: Mixing, song structure
Weakpoints: Everything else
DAW: FL Studios
Timezone: GMT +8

Icky
Genres: Really any type of Bass Music, most experience with electrohouse, drum and bass and harddance but I also have decent knowledge of other genres.
Strengths: Mixing, Post processing, Drums.
Weaknesses: Getting stuff done, more complex sound design.

Itroitnyah
Genres: dubstep, other edm genres to some slight degree
Strongpoints: Music theory, understanding what every function of almost every synth does, how to structure songs, mixing (to some degree)
Weakpoints: Putting everything I know together and making an actual good song
Timezone: UTC -6 Central

K3WRO
Genres: Happy Hardcore, Rave, Drum and Bass, Liquid funk
Strengths: Sound design, Patterns, Melodies, SYTRUS
Weaknesses: Complex Melodies, Mastering, singing, and I can't stop making things repetitive
DAW: FL Studio 10, Sonar X1

Magnitude Zero
Genres: Trance, Orchestral, DnB (somewhat)
Stongpoints: Chill stuff, pad design, sample usage/manipulation (especially vocals), feels/storytelling, basic music theory
Weakpoints: Mixing, mastering, repetition, synth design (except pads), advanced music theory

Motivfs
Genres: Drum & Bass, Chill
Strengths: Concept, Mixing (for the most part), Transitioning
Weaknesses: Sound Design, Composition
DAW: FL Studios 10

NegaNote
Genres: Hard Trance, Uplifting Trance, Hardstyle, some dubstep, some DnB, some dissonant electronica (non-ambient)
Strongpoints: Melody, rhythm, mixing, mastering, structure, chord progression, theory, synth design (only additive or subtractive synthesis though)
Weakpoints: Vocal or sample processing, glitching, FM synthesis, lyric-writing, singing (although I am getting better).
Time zone: UTC - 5

Nine Volt
Genres: House, neurofunk, other assorted electronica
Strong Points: house chords, multigenre work, song structure, I can do most genres of electronic relatively well, mixing, synth design, I'm on here all the damn time
Weak Points: collaboration, acoustic/live stuff, 'brostep', being on time, awesome melodies
DAW: Reason
Time Zone: UTC - 5

Orange
Genres: Electro/Progressive House, Dubstep, Techno, Trance, Hardstyle, other forms of EDM
Strongpoints: NI Massive synth design, Music Theory (Chord Progressions, Melody, Harmony, ect), Intermediate Mixing, Basic Mastering, Piano
Weakpoints: Orchestration, Chilled / calm songs, Vocal Processing
DAW: Mixcraft 6 / Ableton 8

PropellerEscape
Genres: Dubstep, Drum and Bass, Neuro, House (to a small degree)
Strengths: Song Structure, Intros (I think I'm competent at song introductions), Melody Composition and Drums (mainly mixing and EQing)
Average: Sound Design (Mainly basses lel), Mastering and perhaps Mixing
Weaknesses: Complex sound design (I'm getting better though :3), Lead Synths, FM synthesis and keeping the listener interested (mostly being repetitive)
DAW: Fl Studio 11 (I'm pretty good with it)
Time zone: GMT +1
Contact: Send me a PM here, Skype me at PropellerEscapeMusic, or email me at [email protected]

Q-Dert
Genres: Just about anything electronic. I particularly like broken beat, hardcore, and anything experimental.
Strong points: I'm decent at the technical side of music production. I've always been great with computers, and anything I don't know, I'm eager to learn.
Weak points: Music theory, actually finishing a damn song.
Timezone: UTC -8 Pacific

Random111223
Genres: Glitch Hop, Electro-funk, Dubstep. I've done some DnB but not recently. Also a bit of housey stuff.
Strengths: Anything involving Massive (bass, leads etc), Arrangement, Effects, Drum processing, Structure, FL Studio.
Weaknesses: Vocals (glitching), Complex and long melodies, Mastering.

stakeout poni
Genres: EDM (I mix genres in songs too much to really have a main genre, although I'd say a weird mix of house and trance.)
Strenghts (Best to worst): Drum Design, Knowing LMMS front to back, Mixing, Basic Music Theory, Basic Synth Design
Weaknesses: LMMS, naming chords, time management (I am slow)
DAW: LMMS (Hue)
Timezone: CST(American) -6:00 (Not completely sure on the number I suck with timezones)
Contact: I can chat (No calls) on Skype, PM on forums. Skype name: stakeoutpunch

Thyrai
Genres: Trance (and a little house)
Strengths: Arrangement, Melodies, Effects, Self-Mastering, and I'm okay with synths I suppose.
Weaknesses: Mixing, Bass, Effective layering, glitching
DAW: Ableton LIVE 8

Triple_B
Genres: Electronic Dance Music
Strengths: Ideaology, personal and musical philosophy, basic psychology, teamwork, EDM scene history independence as an artist, live electronic performance, hardware & software technology.
Weaknesses: Supposedly everything else.
DAW: Ableton Live 8 (PC & OSX), FL Studio 10
Time Zone: US & Canada Mountain Time, MST, -7

TheOcularInvisible
Genres: Dubstep, DnB, House, Moombahton
Strengths: Composing, song structure, drums
Average: Sound design
Weaknesses: Mixing, mastering, procrastinating
DAWs: FL Studio, Ableton (can barely use Ableton at all)
Time zone: GMT -4:00
Contact: PM here, e-mail ([email protected]), Skype (theocularinvisible)

Traditional (Non-Electronic) Music

Alycs
Genres: General EDM, Improvisational and Classical Piano
Strengths: Basic to Advanced Music Theory (Up to and including Orchestra Notation, Modal Structure, and Counterpoint and Atonal Analysis), Synth Design in LMMS, Melody Writing, Piano Technique and Improv
Weaknesses: Drum Design, Keeping to a Specific Genre
DAW: LMMS (Waits for Lavender to yell at this)
Contact me: PM on this forum

AdamTh3Walker
Genres: Jazz, improvisation (general), symphonic, downtempo, chillout, beat, pop, chillwave, glo-fi.
Strengths: Composition, technique and improv (piano esp.), mixing in a digital environment, general knowledge of and related to VST plugins. Most of all, patience!
So-so: Voice. I can impart precious little wisdom. I'm still learning and improving my own voice. Nevertheless, whatever I've learned, I'll be happy to pass on.
Weaknesses: Musical theory and nomenclature, mastering, synth design, sounding like "x"
DAW: Cubase 5.5
Timezone: GMT -6:00
Contact me: here (PM), Skype (adamthewalker), email ([email protected])

CaptainFluffatun
Genre: Orchestral
Strong Points: Harmonization, melodies, chord theory, strings, woodwinds
Weak Points: Mastering, improvisation,
DAW: Cubase 5, FL Studio 10

Conduit
Genres: Film score, contemporary orchestral
Stongpoints: Harmony, Melody, Percussion, Improv
Weakpoints: Most electronic genres, Long songs
DAW: Logic Pro 9

FIMprov
Genres: Techno and derivations, Improvisational and classical piano
Strengths: Basic to intermediate music theory, chord progression, melody, mixing acoustic music (including orchestral), patience
Average: Synth design (subtractive & FM), mixing/mastering EDM, processing vocals, compression
Weaknesses: EDM drum design, complex sound design, synthesis other than subtractive or FM
DAW: Cubase 5 (main), LMMS (not so much)
Time zone: GMT-5
Contact: PM me here or add me on Skype at taylor.mp, but don't expect a quick reply the first time around.

Fimbulin
Genre: Orchestra Stuff
Strengths: Analytical theory, Chord theory, Orchestra balance, Solo virtual instruments, Composition
Software: FL Studio, Kontakt, Soundfonts
My theory help thread: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502

Kyoga
Genres: Guitar, Dark Ambient, Hybrid Ambient, Dissonant Ambient, Soundscape Ambient, Minor Ambient
Stongpoints: Sound Design, Guitar, Melody, Frequency Grouping, Stereo Imaging, Soundscape Design
Weakpoints: Rapid Progression, Low tolerance for laziness, generally low expectations (perhaps good?)
DAW: Ableton Live 9

LoreRD
Genres: Piano/Piano Improvisation (jazz, new age, classical, baroque, blues, romantic, some ragtime), Drum instrumentals, Ambient, Alt-rock, Electronic rock, trance.
Stongpoints: Finger/stick technique, Improvisation, Sightreading, layering, melody.
Weakpoints: EQ, mastering, synth design.
DAW: Logic Pro 9 (main), GarageBand

LunchBagMusic
Genres: Contemporary/Classical Orchestral and similar, Jazz, Funk, Folk
Strengths: Composition, Harmony, Musicality (basically everything away from the production side of music), Improvisation, Piano
Weaknesses: Mixing, working with any kind of mainstream DAW, anything to do with synths.

Magnitude Zero
Genres: Trance, Orchestral, DnB (somewhat)
Stongpoints: Chill stuff, pad design, sample usage/manipulation (especially vocals), feels/storytelling, basic music theory
Weakpoints: Mixing, mastering, repetition, synth design (except pads), advanced music theory

MisterJayBrown
Genres: Piano Rock, Experimenting with more, like Electronic, other types of rock, etc.
Strengths: Bass, Drumlines, Lyrics, Single Instrument Harmonies
So-so: Ear training, concepts (it can be hard to get them into FL Studio), Singing, Music Theory
Weaknesses: Mixing, Laziness, Guitar/Guitar-like Instruments, Finding the Right Noise Quickly
DAW: FL Studio 10, Learning Reason (hopefully)
Timezone: EST -5:00
Contact me: PM, [email protected], Skype (stephen.james_brown)

Peak Freak
We'll miss you :(

TK
Genre: Acoustic Finger-style Guitar
Strengths: Rapid plucking, finger-style patterns, finding easy fingering to a difficult song
Weakpoints: Composing, switching from a barre chord out and back, sometimes using my pinky finger
Timezone: UTC - 7

v.lossity
Genres: Bluegrass, Jazz, Funk, Metal, Classical, Acoustic, Reggae, Rock, some electronic.
Strengths: Music theory, Guitar (10 yrs), Bass Guitar(10 yrs), Viola(13 yrs), Violin, Improvisation.
So-so: Voice, Composition, Piano, arranging, Ableton, Audiotool, Massive, Kontakt, LASS, Cinebrass, and genre-swapping xD
Weaknesses: Sound design, mixing, finishing things, OCD, motivation, workflow, planning songs out ahead, imitation (in electronic music).
Timezone: EST
DAW: Ableton
Contact me: here (PM), Skype VLossity

WavesOfParadox
Genres: Orchestral
Strong Points: Composition, Theory
Weak Points: Technology
DAW: Reaper (I spend most of my time in Finale, though)
Time Zone: Central

Electronic Music That Won’t Fill The Dance Floor

CrashDistortion
Genres: Ambient, Experimental, DnB, Dubstep (both oldskool dubstep and post Skrillex dubstep)
Strengths: Synth design, composing, Gray Noise FX, proper sampling, melody constructing.
Weaknesses: Mixing, using a compressor correctly, knowledge about VSTs, Not clipping

Kyoga
Genres: Guitar, Dark Ambient, Hybrid Ambient, Dissonant Ambient, Soundscape Ambient, Minor Ambient
Stongpoints: Sound Design, Guitar, Melody, Frequency Grouping, Stereo Imaging, Soundscape Design
Weakpoints: Rapid Progression, Low tolerance for laziness, generally low expectations (perhaps good?)
DAW: Mixcraft Pro Studio 5, Ableton (learning)

Mixing And Mastering

HMage
Mixing engineer.
Genre: any, from classical to dubstep
Strengths: mixing, mastering, post-recording cleanup, rearrangement.
Weaknesses: melody, chord progressions
DAW: Ableton Live, Logic
Timezone: GMT+4
Last edited by Conduit on 11 Oct 2013 18:42, edited 37 times in total.
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Re: Tutors

Postby Omnomnomnom » 04 Oct 2012 20:47

This is a pretty awesome idea. Actually having another human to learn from can work wonders.
I, too, live in a musically deprived place. It's so rural where I live... no producers or artists, just rocks and trees, and waves where I live. :P
I have received little musical education in my lifetime, which kind of sucks, because I desperately want to learn more. I don't plan on being a tutor at all, but I'll post this anyways:

Genres: I have no idea, because most of my musical work is done with my instructors rather than composition/production, but the closest I can get is probably something orchestral, because I use the violin-type bowed strings often. I usually fiddle around with anything not electronic.
Strengths: Not much of anything, really.
Weaknesses: Writing a song longer than 210 seconds, electronic thingamabobs, actually putting effort in.

Real Instruments (?): Keyboard-type instruments, Clarinets, etc.
I'm always half-asleep, and I hate dubstep.
Also, you know that other, way more awesome Nomnom guy who shows up on EQD sometimes? THAT PERSON IS NOT ME.
We just happen to have similar pseudonyms.
Omnomnomnom

Postby Magnitude Zero » 04 Oct 2012 21:17

Genres (I'm generally not a fan of working within genres, but for the sake of this): Chill trance-ish stuff, some orchestral, and a bit of DnB
Strengths: Sample manipulation (especially vocals), basic glitching, melodies, harmonies, FEELS
Weaknesses: Synth design, drums, tendency to make things too repetitive, mixing, mastering
DAW: FL Studio 9

I love playing with vocals and samples in general. I use FL Studio and know my way around it fairly well, but I might have some trouble helping you out if you use a different DAW (not that I won't try ;)).
Formerly known as Blind

Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Orange » 04 Oct 2012 23:19

Genres: Most forms of EDM, not though not well versed in DnB
Strengths: Synth Design (Massive), Music Theory (Chord Progressions, Melodies, Harmonies, Scales, ect..), Mixing
Weaknesses: Mastering, Orchestration, Synths other then Massive

I don't post much, usually too busy working on music. I already help and collaborate with a few people, and the more the merrier. I love reproducing sounds in Massive, teaching Music Theory, and having a fun time in skype while doing it x3.

Orange

Postby LunchBagMusic » 05 Oct 2012 02:34

Genres: Contemporary/Classical Orchestral and similar, Jazz, Funk, Folk, basically anything that isn't dubstep/trance/DnB/etc.

Strengths: Composition, Harmony, Musicality (basically everything away from the production side of music), Improvisation, Piano
Weaknesses: Mixing, working with any kind of mainstream DAW, anything to do with synths.

LunchBagMusic

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 05 Oct 2012 05:31

I'm OK with how synthesizers work, so I suppose shoot me a PM if you have some sort of question. I'm ok with subtractive, additive, and a little less with FM and granular.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby bartekko » 05 Oct 2012 06:18

Genres: House, Drum 'n' Bass, Brostep, Complextro Other electronic, all of them
Strengths: Sound design (drums, synths, fx), production (mixing), arrangment (???)
Weaknesses: Melodies, Chord Progressions, EVERYTHING ELSE
DAW: Ableton Live 8, Image-Line FLStudio 10, Cakewalk Sonar X1
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Peak Freak » 05 Oct 2012 08:44

Last edited by Peak Freak on 18 Dec 2012 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
Peak Freak

Postby cyrricky » 05 Oct 2012 14:49

Genres: Electro House, Bass Music
Stongpoints: Melody, Percussion, Sound Design, Mixing
Weakpoints: Mastering, Playing Well With Others
DAW: Reason
Youtube - Soundcloud - Tumblr

DAW: Propellerhead Reason 6
cyrricky

Primary: Reason

Postby Thyrai » 05 Oct 2012 23:00

Cool idea!

Genres: Trance (and a little house)
Strengths: Arrangement, Melodies, Effects, Self-Mastering, and I'm okay with synths I suppose.
Weaknesses: Mixing, Bass, Effective layering, glitching
DAW: Ableton LIVE 8
Thyrai

Postby Icky » 06 Oct 2012 04:41

Oh why the hell not?

Genres: Really any type of Bass Music, most experience with electrohouse, drum and bass and harddance but I also have decent knowledge of other genres.
Strengths: Mixing, Post processing, Drums.
Weaknesses: Getting stuff done, more complex sound design.

Feel free to add me to skype and toss me your WIPs, questions and whatever else you can think of!
Icky

Postby K3WRO » 06 Oct 2012 04:50

this seems good to me

Genres: Happy Hardcore, Rave, Drum and Bass, Liquid funk
Strengths: Sound design, Patterns, Melodies, SYTRUS
Weaknesses: Complex Melodies, Mastering, singing, and I can't stop making things repetitive
DAW: FL Studio 10, Sonar X1
Timezone: UTC +9 Tokyo, Seoul
Last edited by K3WRO on 06 Oct 2012 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
Soundcloud : http://www.soundcloud.com/megapie-1
Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/antigravtoast2/featured

-I'm not Dead, I just don't make small horse music anymore-
K3WRO

Primary: Reason
Cutie Mark: Your Face

Postby LoreRD » 06 Oct 2012 05:23

Just thought of something else that would be useful for people to add in their "bios": Timezone
DAW: Logic Pro Studio 9 | VSTs: Komplete 9 Ultimate
Piano Improvisations, Electro-orchestral-alternative instrumentals/remixes, drummer
Youtube | SoundCloud | tumblr
Brony Musician Directory
Thanks to Makkon for the avatar
LoreRD

Postby Raddons » 06 Oct 2012 09:42

Can someone teach me how to be good?!?
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Oct 2012 19:37

Cloud wrote:Can someone teach me how to be good?!?
Ask Orange. He's real good at this stuff. My experience with him is:

1) His voice is absolutely AMAZING. You will want to listen to it all day. He's also good at explaining things on the spot, which makes an amazing combination.

2) He knows more than you do about everything. And he teaches it to you if you ask.

3) His voice is absolutely AMAZING.

4) he hears the things that you cannot.
Last edited by itroitnyah on 14 Oct 2012 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Omnomnomnom » 06 Oct 2012 21:02

The list of tutors is growing nicely...
Kudos to you, flatfish, for coming up with this. A wealth of knowledge is being massed, truly.

With any luck, I'll be able to have some of the pure, concentrated, unadulterated talent rub off onto me.
I'm always half-asleep, and I hate dubstep.
Also, you know that other, way more awesome Nomnom guy who shows up on EQD sometimes? THAT PERSON IS NOT ME.
We just happen to have similar pseudonyms.
Omnomnomnom

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 07 Oct 2012 09:11

Chromatic
Genres: Experimental Dubstep, DnB, Acoustic, Metal, Death Metal, Experimental, Progressive Metal
Strongpoints: Hideous robotic and glitchy sound design, synth design, technical guitar riffing, experimental, acoustic improv (kinda), 8 string guitar (fuck yea!), ruining perfectly good vocals (ex. the Megatron vocal effect)
Weakpoints: composing, rediculously high expectations, mastering, mixing (I'm improving a lot at it), finishing projects on time, making music that is so bizzare that I will never release it, making music that people tend to dislike (mostly the dubstep), not releasing songs because I though they sucked, low self confidence, being too shy in real life, wasting my time posting on these threads when I could be producing music or practicing guitar.
DAW: Ableton Live Lite (I need an upgrade)
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby MasterOfRegret » 07 Oct 2012 11:44

I tried to go to a tutor for guitar. He refunded my $150 because he didn't think he could improve me. He played for almost 20 years. I felt badass.
I don't like the electronic stuff so much anymore.

TK:
Strengths: Rapid plucking, finger-style patterns, finding easy fingering to a difficult song
Weakpoints: Composing, switching from a barre chord out and back, sometimes using my pinky finger
Check out my stuff.
| Youtube | SoundCloud |
I'm finally getting good at this!
MasterOfRegret

Cutie Mark: Guitar

Postby Acsii » 08 Oct 2012 00:18

MasterOfRegret wrote:I tried to go to a tutor for guitar. He refunded my $150 because he didn't think he could improve me. He played for almost 20 years. I felt badass.
I don't like the electronic stuff so much anymore.

TK:

Hey you live in the same time zone as my boyfriend
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby itroitnyah » 13 Oct 2012 11:41

Ah, what the heck. I'll join the list too

Genre: Dubstep, or just whatever. I'm horrible with genres names and categorizing, and don't have a specific one. I'll try to help with whatever genre you're doing.
Strong points: Music theory, melody, rhythm, structure, drums (to a degree), mixing (also to a degree)
Weak points: Complex sound design, music terminology, mastering (to a degree).
DAW: FL Studio 10 Producer Edition

Extra: I'm fairly unsure about myself and my abilities with music production. I may be better at something than I think I am, or I may be worse at something than I think I am. Just a precaution. Also, I don't own a microphone atm, so I won't be able to skype call. I should be getting a microphone hopefully by christmas at the latest.

So feel free to add me and I'll help you out with whatever I can.
itroitnyah

Postby WavesOfParadox » 13 Oct 2012 17:38

Genres: Orchestral
Strong Points: Composition, Theory
Weak Points: Technology
DAW: Reaper (I spend most of my time in Finale, though)
Time Zone: Central
YouTube
SoundCloud

Haiti Charity Album
Haiti Charity Album

"A good composer does not imitate; he steals."
-Igor Stravinsky
WavesOfParadox

Postby LoreRD » 14 Oct 2012 01:40

Alright, might as well :P

Genres: Piano music (jazz, classical, new age, ragtime, baroque), "electro-orchestral"/orchestral trance. Rock/progressive drums.
Strengths: Improvisation, Melody, Layering, Harmony, Music Theory (nothing unusually complex, though), Piano/drums playing, Composition, Recording (only know a little), a little bit of Sound Design and Synth Design (still learning on both of those)
Weaknesses: Anything DnB/House/Dubstep-related, mastering
DAW: Logic Pro 9 (I also have GarageBand)
Time Zone: GMT+1
PM me about Skype username if you want me to help out
DAW: Logic Pro Studio 9 | VSTs: Komplete 9 Ultimate
Piano Improvisations, Electro-orchestral-alternative instrumentals/remixes, drummer
Youtube | SoundCloud | tumblr
Brony Musician Directory
Thanks to Makkon for the avatar
LoreRD

Postby Conduit » 21 Oct 2012 15:20

Bump.
Also a question, since by its very nature this thread isn't going to get a ton of posts, and therefore get buried, do you think it should be added to the Getting Started with Music Guide, get stickied on its own, or just left to die?
Go ahead and break the original rules and post your replies here.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby itroitnyah » 21 Oct 2012 16:26

Flatflish wrote:Bump.
Also a question, since by its very nature this thread isn't going to get a ton of posts, and therefore get buried, do you think it should be added to the Getting Started with Music Guide, get stickied on its own, or just left to die?
Go ahead and break the original rules and post your replies here.
Just continue bumping every now and then, but it would be nice for this thread to get stickied. I can just feel that in a couple of months or about a year, or somewhere in between, there's going to be another wave of beginners jumping on, so it'll be nice to have this thread so that they can find people to talk to in person. Because honestly, mylittleremix itself isn't very reliable in terms of like reviewing music or such. I post a song on here and it gets like no comments at all, and it would be nice for somebody to say something like "oh, your synth needs some work, because the resonance is a bit too high and the bit crusher is too powerful" or something like that. So it's nice to have people who you can send your songs to, and they'll rate it.

Also, could you update my "resume"? thanks

Genre: Electric genres, none too specific
Strong points: Music theory, melody, rhythm, harmony, structure, drums, mixing
Weak points: Complex synth design, getting better though

Extra: I don't own a microphone atm, so I won't be able to talk in skype calls. I should be getting a microphone hopefully by christmas at the latest.
itroitnyah

Postby NegaNote » 21 Oct 2012 17:30

Well, I might as well do this too.

Genres: Hard Trance, Uplifting Trance, Hardstyle, some dubstep, some DnB, some dissonant electronica (non-ambient)
Strong points: Melody, rhythm, mixing, mastering, structure, chord progression, theory, synth design (only additive or subtractive synthesis though)
Weak points: Vocal or sample processing, glitching, FM synthesis, lyric-writing, singing (although I am getting better), etc.
Time zone: UTC - 5

So yeah, contact me anytime.
DAW: FL Studio
VSTs: ALL OF THEM :D
Sample packs: VEC3, Xfer pack, various breakbeat samples
Soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/neganote

Latest track: http://soundcloud.com/neganote/fallen
NegaNote

Next

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice