New Album Idea

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

New Album Idea

Postby bmo13 » 09 May 2012 21:00

THIS THREAD HAS MOVED TO A NEW LOCATION!

Here is the link: http://mylittleremix.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2845

(Bump)

Here's the participant list so far, Sign up VIA this thread or inbox me for a spot. All styles are acceptable.

PARTICIPANTS:

-Rainbow_Rage
-EmpUbermensch
-meletric
-Kyoga
-BronyTuber
-bmo13
-Glitchhog
-colortwelve
-DJ Pon-3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INFO:

Okay, so recently I've been noticing that there's a bunch of amateur composers out there (much like myself) that have been somewhat overlooked by the general public. I thought for a while about how to fix this issue and then it hit me:

10 artists
2 tracks each
1 awesome album

"Lesser Knowns"

Something like this could be a great kickstart for new artists. So, can I get 10 newbies who are with me on this?
Last edited by bmo13 on 11 May 2012 07:33, edited 2 times in total.
B-13
bmo13

Re: New Album Idea

Postby colortwelve » 09 May 2012 21:06

Hm. I like the idea... The question for me would be whether having one track released but about 20 in the works counts as a 'newbie.' But in general, as an idea to get a few names out there, I do like it. And since, when the time comes to assemble it all, it'd technically be a giant collaboration, everyone could help each other out on some of the finer aspects so that each track is actually good enough to warrant getting out the name of its producer. (Maybe even consult someone who isn't involved who has advice to spare on, say, mastering and technical stuff like that.)
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby the4thImpulse » 09 May 2012 21:22

I like the idea behind it but there are two small problems I see with it;

1 - When you say newbie I assume ou mean they can make a track and maybe have a few followers on youtube or soundcloud (like less then 20). If thats true when you release the album how would everyone else even know about it? It would be nice to know how you will 'advertise' (for lack of a better word) the album.

2 - Who will be defined "amateur"? You surely don't want poorly produced music on the album as that will only turn people off so some skill will be required I imagine. I have around 80 followers combined on various music sites but I still consider myself amateur, I have had two songs appear on EqD but I am far from being popular or well known.

Again I do like the idea and would fully support it anyway I can.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby soup2504 » 09 May 2012 21:30

Hmmm... I like the idea. Buuutttt, I'm kinda tied up working on a little EP right now, so I woud like to know if we are allowed to put in some of our already done songs. However, only one strikes out that would be good enough(which is Population Control), as Harmony and Mahogany are part of the EP I'm doing, I am quite unsatisfied with a few loose ends in "Circlecakes" (although alot of people I shared it with enjoyed it), "Pipe Down, Taz" is just horrible, my older songs are lacking, and they haven't been mastered, etc. HOWEVER, I AM re-working "Twilight's Party", so that might be able to make it, althought I'm having alot of trouble with it right now, because it keeps breaking 0db no matter what I do, even on low sounds, and I can't add much to it to make it less plain because of this.

Anyways, I kinda got side-tracked there, so are we allowed to put some of our older songs on, or do they have to be completely new? As for "amateur composers out there (much like myself) that have been somewhat overlooked" you mentioned yourself as being one of the "Lesser knowns", so I would like to know how the word about this album will get out.
soup2504

Postby BronyTuber » 09 May 2012 22:17

I'm on board but I'm about as amateur as they come.
So as 4thimpulse said "You surely don't want poorly produced music on the album as that will only turn people off so some skill will be required I imagine."
^
That may be an issue for myself.
http://soundcloud.com/bronytuber

"I will speak for you, Father. I speak for all the mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint." -Antonio Salieri (Amadeus)
BronyTuber

Postby Expy » 10 May 2012 03:28

I wouldn't mind taking part in this... I've been around for a few months now, but basically everything I made up until a few weeks ago was crap. I definitely still consider myself an amateur.
Expy

Postby Legion » 10 May 2012 04:16

BronyTuber wrote:I'm on board but I'm about as amateur as they come.
So as 4thimpulse said "You surely don't want poorly produced music on the album as that will only turn people off so some skill will be required I imagine."
^
That may be an issue for myself.

I don't want to just quote somebody and say 'what they said', but...

Yeah, pretty much what he said. If that's not a problem, I'll definitely hop aboard.
Legion

Postby Expy » 10 May 2012 04:26

We could make most tracks collabs - that might make the overall quality better.
Expy

Postby BronyTuber » 10 May 2012 04:43

Expy wrote:We could make most tracks collabs - that might make the overall quality better.

This isn't a bad idea imo...

"I will speak for you, Father. I speak for all the mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint." -Antonio Salieri (Amadeus)
BronyTuber

Postby bartekko » 10 May 2012 08:55

Lesser knowns (I have 117 subs, guess that's not for me) should collab with those more experienced (me?), so both the song is better, and you also get better. I volunteer my time, and will to do one, or even two collabs. My skype is bartekko6, but you'll have a bigger chance of catching me on the irc channel.
Also, I'm incredibly lazy and you'll have to be the one to start the collab, because I certainly won't do that
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby bmo13 » 10 May 2012 09:05

I like the Idea of collabs. It could help the less talented out with their sounds and organization. Again, this idea is still in the works. For advertising, I'm an admin on a 90% Brony Facebook page with just under 1,500 followers so that could help spread the word. I think with a little more planning, we could really make this idea work!
B-13
bmo13

Postby colortwelve » 10 May 2012 17:16

Kyoga wrote:what music styles would you be presenting?

Not only are we talking about brony music, we're talking about new artists who may not have any idea what genre(s) they want to produce. I'd venture to say that it's any and all genres, as long as it's all reasonably good.

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Freewave » 10 May 2012 17:38

I like the idea and kinda surprised that no one's done compilations before. I'm on board but i generally remix fyi not that i can't give it a shot as I'm more inexperienced there. If you have someone who is a little unsure of their original track and wants some help making it better i'm down with helping with that too.

How about instead of 10 people doing 2 good tracks (tough for a newb tbh) you make it 15 or 20 smaller artists with 1 track (collaborations being allowed and encouraged but NEW material not older remixes). Keep in mind that remix wars will start up in summer so this should be completed before then.

Here's a theme, form it around images of the Cutie Mark Crusaders or the "Blank Flanks"; ie people who haven't figured out their potential yet (found their cutie marks). Not that you'd make songs about CMC but feature it in the name and album art of whatever you propose and encourage newer and younger artists.

• I'd be glad to hype it up through bronymusic.com before and after
  • We can get a large batch of people to work on this but expect that
  • People will drop out and not complete their tracks after joining in so
  • You need a deadline to get people to get the work done quickly
  • You either have enough tracks at the end of the deadline
  • or You extend the deadline until you have enough (if you get enough good tracks before the deadline you just release it earlier giving people incentive not to slack)
  • Have someone in charge of confirming good quality of submissions (no crap plz)
  • I'd encourage MLR to be directly involved and to avoid 100+ participant like Balooon Party
  • Make it a real compilation 15-20 tracks (< then 75 min)
  • Make it free. There's no point in forcing people to buy this from newbs as you turn off a chunk of your potential fans when you do.
  • Get some big name brony artists to get the word out when its ready.

Lotta ideas, feel free to support or shoot any of them down. If it takes off make it a series and do another one.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Rainbow_Rage » 10 May 2012 19:15

I'm pretty much a inexperienced as it gets, so I don't think I have the technical experience yet to do this. I also will be mostly off the grid for the next few months. I'll have my laptop and could create music, but my ability to get online will be limited at best until mid August.

I know a project like this would be very good for learning and motivation to improve for me and I applaud your effort to get new people more involved. I've made the mistake of not helping out newbies before and it doesn't end too well.
Rainbow_Rage

Postby BronyTuber » 10 May 2012 19:27

DJ Pon-3 wrote:Here's a theme, form it around images of the Cutie Mark Crusaders or the "Blank Flanks"; ie people who haven't figured out their potential yet (found their cutie marks).

Again, I really like this idea.

I promise its not just because I'm a fan of DJ Pon-3

BronyTuber

Postby bmo13 » 10 May 2012 20:39

Love the cutie mark idea, Love the 15-20 musicians idea, wanted all generas from the start. Lets make this happen!
B-13
bmo13

Postby bmo13 » 10 May 2012 20:47

All we need is a general deadline and a participants list. (Album art can come later)
B-13
bmo13

Postby Freewave » 10 May 2012 20:49

looks like people like the idea lets do a roll call and start keeping tabs of how many people actually will sign up now that want to be in. if we get say 25 people we should be in good shape to have 15 tracks ready in the month of so due date
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Glitchhog » 10 May 2012 20:54

I have 168 subs on YouTube and roughly 57 followers on SoundCloud, but I still definitely class myself as 'lesser known' and I'd love to be a part of this.
Australian-based Electrohouse producer. Check out my YouTube or SoundCloud for music, or help me out by donating.
Glitchhog

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Electrohouse

Postby bmo13 » 10 May 2012 20:54

I'm feeling late July or early August give people some time to work and spread the word. Wouldn't wanna rush this. Ill start the signup list.

-bmo13
-Glitchhog
-colortwelve
Last edited by bmo13 on 10 May 2012 20:58, edited 2 times in total.
B-13
bmo13

Postby Glitchhog » 10 May 2012 20:57

I also admin the sites Equestria Music, Equestrian Rhythm (and their Facebook pages) and The Brony Musician Directory with my friends Legion, Derpidety and DJ, so I could definitely help get this out there.
Last edited by Glitchhog on 10 May 2012 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Australian-based Electrohouse producer. Check out my YouTube or SoundCloud for music, or help me out by donating.
Glitchhog

Postby colortwelve » 10 May 2012 20:57

Get me in on this, it's starting to sound more and more awesome with each post!

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby bmo13 » 10 May 2012 20:57

Ill finish updating in the morning. I have an exam tomorrow first thing so I should really be getting some sleep. Plus, the fact that I'm sick as all hell isn't helping either. I'll check back in the morning.
B-13
bmo13

Postby Glitchhog » 10 May 2012 21:01

I'd say keep the contributing artists list updated on the main post of this thread, so everyone can see (and make sure you ask people to contact you if they'll be dropping out. Nothing is worse than chasing people up who haven't bothered to tell you they stopped bothering.)

I really think this is a great idea, I've got a really good feeling about it.
Glitchhog

Postby BronyTuber » 10 May 2012 21:23

I'll toss my hat in as well.

BronyTuber

Next

Return to Technique