Every producer must watch this video on production

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Every producer must watch this video on production

Postby the4thImpulse » 09 Mar 2012 03:01

I just finished this video after seeing it on another forum. It is worth every second of your time to watch, its 42 minutes long and possibly the best video on production I have ever seen. It does not focus on the technical side of production but how you should spend your time when you work to maximize workflow and creativity.

heres the link incase the embed doesnt work..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQ8c19u ... r_embedded

Last edited by the4thImpulse on 09 Mar 2012 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Every producer must watch this video on production

Postby Random111223 » 09 Mar 2012 06:34

Oh wow, i have every problem he addressed on that video. Probably the best tutorial i've ever seen. Thank you.
Random111223

Postby qJesse » 09 Mar 2012 10:42

Outstanding. This guy is incredible.
Hey there. I'm Jesse. Did you hear Lyra talk?
qJesse

Postby Navron » 09 Mar 2012 16:46

First goal...buy a journal.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby bartekko » 09 Mar 2012 16:53

NavyBrony wrote:First goal...buy a journal.

Not a cheap one.

Second goal: make a big library of synths, kicks, snares etc. ready to use
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby colortwelve » 09 Mar 2012 19:36

When I came home today, I was going to finish up a track I had started on last night. Now I'm going to spend all night just getting my shit together.
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby the4thImpulse » 09 Mar 2012 20:02

colortwelve wrote:When I came home today, I was going to finish up a track I had started on last night. Now I'm going to spend all night just getting my shit together.

I bought a journal today and tonight its organization time, Yay! I'm glad everyone is enjoying the video.
the4thImpulse

Postby Navron » 09 Mar 2012 21:31

He didn't cover it in the video, but my Dad gave me some great advice that sort of ties in with the mindset recommended in the video.

As we all know, we draw our own composition style from our inspirations. If you listen to nothing but death metal, chances are you will have a lot of death metal influence in your music. I happen to listen to a lot of game soundtracks, so it's no wonder a lot of my music sounds like something out of Metroid, or other electronic/industrial soundtracks.

I've seen many people recommend listening to music they like. Analyze it, find out what makes it sound good, etc. A very good recommendation, but here's what my Dad added on to it:

"If you only listen to what you like, then the best you can accomplish is getting to the same level of what you listen to. It doesn't break any new ground, or create something new, and while you may have a personal sound, overall you won't be able to differentiate yourself from the rest of the genre."

"Listen to music outside your comfort zone. Analyze it the same way you analyze the regular music you listen to. After awhile you may appreciate certain sections that sounded off to you before, and because you'll be listening to music outside of what you normally listen to, your creativity will start implementing those ideas into what you like, and you'll end up broadening your creativity, and have more at your disposal."
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Postby Random111223 » 10 Mar 2012 00:18

Haha, other people started that journal thing aswell i see. I just wrote my first lines a few minutes ago. I'm going the cheap way though, writing it on a text file. He laid it out kinda ruthlessly on the video; "Get a journal or don't be an artist".

How are you guys organizing a library? I have the folder called "samples" filled with stuff which he said wasn't enough, but i just can't imagine how to make it better because i have memorized where everything is in that folder.

Btw, when is chapter 2 coming out? :lol:
Random111223

Postby the4thImpulse » 10 Mar 2012 00:47

I don know when chapter 2 will come out, I saw it and thought it could help a lot of the musicians here so I dont know to much about it.

As for my libray right now my folders are sorted this way :
Samples - (Complete sample packs from various people/places) ex.StoneBridge Sample Pack - (type of sample) ex. Kick, Snare, Stab, Loops - Individual Sample.wav

This way works well for me but I hope to sort it out even more by something like this - Favorites samples, Generic Samples, Weird Samples, and so on.
the4thImpulse

Postby 5COPY » 12 Mar 2012 15:12

Outstanding. These tips are really great
I don't have time for fancy signatures.

http://www.youtube.com/user/5COPY?feature=mhee

http://soundcloud.com/5copy

5COPY

Postby PrincessAddictia » 12 Mar 2012 17:34

While some of the tips are good, others might not apply to you personally.
Creating music is a very inividual process, so please don't just follow everything you hear professionals say blindly.
PrincessAddictia

Postby Navron » 12 Mar 2012 21:24

I followed blindly, and ended up making a whole 5min song in 1 day.

I bought a journal, and write first thing when I wake up. Usually I'll recount a dream I had, or something like that, but anyway, after only doing this for 3 days:

- I've been recalling more from my dreams.
- I ended up creating a song in 1 day (previous record: 2, average: 14-21).
- Melodies and ideas seem to come quicker.

Granted, I can't really say if this is a result of focusing on my creativity as an issue, or if I just got a string of luck.
Navron
Global Moderator

Postby BronyTuber » 15 Mar 2012 01:19

I'm really new to all of this but when I watched this video the first thing I did was run out and buy a couple journals, one I write in every morning and the other I write down any ideas I have or just what I should work on learning next. Since I've started doing that, I'm finding I'm a lot more focused on music, I'm not watching television while I'm trying to learn something or anything like that anymore. Now I sit down and dedicate hours to learning whatever it is I set out to learn for the day.

So from a newbie point of view, the journal part definitely helps!
http://soundcloud.com/bronytuber

"I will speak for you, Father. I speak for all the mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint." -Antonio Salieri (Amadeus)
BronyTuber

Postby the4thImpulse » 15 Mar 2012 01:24

I have completed one week now doing the journal and I must say that in the mournings I feel much more focused on completing as much as possible every hour. 2 days ago I went without breakfest and had luch at 3pm because I was to into my work and I knew if I left I would com back less motivated.
the4thImpulse

Postby Navron » 15 Mar 2012 02:40

the4thImpulse wrote:2 days ago I went without breakfest and had luch at 3pm because I was to into my work and I knew if I left I would com back less motivated.

Confound this music production, it drives me to starvation.

Yeah seriously, some days when you've got an idea going on, you don't want to stop. When I made a full track in one day (Sunday), I was definitely in the "zone," so I ended up going from like 10:30AM - 7:00PM without eating anything.

Definitely not going to be making that a common thing. After all, on top of keeping your creative side exercised by writing ideas down in a journal, you also need to keep yourself in top physical shape. Good diet, good sleep, and plenty of exercise.
Navron
Global Moderator

Postby LunchBagMusic » 15 Mar 2012 05:01

PrincessAddictia wrote:While some of the tips are good, others might not apply to you personally.
Creating music is a very inividual process, so please don't just follow everything you hear professionals say blindly.

This. Princess has it right, some of the stuff the stoner said made sense, but didn't suit me personally.

As for that whole get up and journalmusicmusicmusicmusic thing, I would so do that but I have school (Which I love. TwilightSparkleTwilightSparkleTwilightSparkle) I'm going to get up 30mins earlier and write the journal, but nighttime/weekends is only when I can work. And this is my final year, so even then my time is tight :/
I must admit just watching the video gave me inspiration that I haven't really felt before. My journal is filling with melodies I'm proud of, and I have that warm, exciting feeling of knowing you've got a song that's going somewhere.

I want to bake you cupackes, 4thImpulse.
LunchBagMusic

Postby Triple_B » 15 Mar 2012 06:48

This was a stunning... thingy. Self- help thing for artists, I'll probably be using the nighttime/daytime session thing immediately and work toward the notebook thing, that's going to have to wait until summer.
10/15/2014 - I finally return to ponies? Maybe.

Actually it was more like 10/12/2015

My current SoundCloud, pony & non-pony things found here.

I have 4 EP's under this alias!

Somepony talk to me, I are the lonelies. :c
Triple_B

Primary: Ableton Live Suite 8.2
Cutie Mark: EDM History!

Postby Sugarholik » 15 Mar 2012 07:52

This video should be the new Ira Glass thing!
Bought a journal already and have a good feeling I'll get to producing decently in no time. ^^
Just damn this school! :(
Sugarholik

Primary: Renoise

Postby Triple_B » 15 Mar 2012 09:32

MikeGallop wrote:This video should be the new Ira Glass thing!
Bought a journal already and have a good feeling I'll get to producing decently in no time. ^^
Just damn this school! :(

I agree with this post in is entirety.
10/15/2014 - I finally return to ponies? Maybe.

Actually it was more like 10/12/2015

My current SoundCloud, pony & non-pony things found here.

I have 4 EP's under this alias!

Somepony talk to me, I are the lonelies. :c
Triple_B

Primary: Ableton Live Suite 8.2
Cutie Mark: EDM History!

Postby the4thImpulse » 15 Mar 2012 12:30

LunchBagMusic wrote:I want to bake you cupackes, 4thImpulse.

Do it take a picture and email them to me!

It makes me so happy to hear this video is helping all of you! We got to keep this video near the top for new people to see.
the4thImpulse

Postby the4thImpulse » 11 May 2012 22:50

I am going to bump this thread because I believe this video will help some of the new people here who have not had a chance to watch it.

I have been keeping journal since the video and I believe some of you have tried and I would like to know if your still doing it everyday. I haven't missed a day yet and if my counting is correct today was entry 64 and this journal thing has made a bit of an improvement to my creative thought process. Its not huge or a 'night and day' effect but it has helped me get my ideas into Ableton more efficiently. I am certinly going to keep writing in my journal first thing every mourning as it can only help.
the4thImpulse

Postby BronyTuber » 12 May 2012 00:37

the4thImpulse wrote:I am going to bump this thread because I believe this video will help some of the new people here who have not had a chance to watch it.

I have been keeping journal since the video and I believe some of you have tried and I would like to know if your still doing it everyday. I haven't missed a day yet and if my counting is correct today was entry 64 and this journal thing has made a bit of an improvement to my creative thought process. Its not huge or a 'night and day' effect but it has helped me get my ideas into Ableton more efficiently. I am certinly going to keep writing in my journal first thing every mourning as it can only help.

I am also still keeping my journal every day. I have to agree as well, it is definitely a huge help.
http://soundcloud.com/bronytuber

"I will speak for you, Father. I speak for all the mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint." -Antonio Salieri (Amadeus)
BronyTuber

Postby natsukashi » 12 May 2012 07:11

^ That's not exactly a very lucid statement. Do you not approve of his opinions, do you approve of his opinions? You are being very ambiguous.

I am totally going to try out Daytime/Nighttime sessions. Then I'll go and buy a nice lil' journal when I can afford it. =w=
ToastbeardERS03:
23:32:35 <natsukashi> I played this for my mom
23:32:48 <J4CKL3-4PP> "now I'm an orphan"
natsukashi

Postby colortwelve » 12 May 2012 11:07

I still need to buy a journal... And start differentiating day and night sessions... Actually, I could stand to pretty much just watch it again. I think all that I got out of it was that I'm never going to go anywhere unless I actually commit to doing music... Which I still need to do :lol:
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Next

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice