Remix War Round III

Remix War Round III

Postby Makkon » 12 Jul 2011 17:59

You can now access the events page to register for the remix war from the top of the forum navigation, under Events.

Brony vs Brony Remix War
Round III - Collaboration is Magic

Welcome to the third round of the successful Brony vs Brony Remix War! Our last round had a massive turnout with over 40 entries total. You can download the complete works to last round's results here: part 1 part 2

The purpose of this event is just the same as the last two - find a song made by another brony that you like and remix/rewrite it in your own style! This round will give you the opportunity to collaborate with another brony musician in remixing a song or writing an original song together.

This time we’re doing things a bit differently to simplify the whole process. PHPony, the owner of the site Celestia Radio, has offered his services in creating a web form on our forum mylittleremix.com for registration and submitting your entries.

You can view the GoogleDoc for this thread here.

Round III: Timetable, Deadline, and Details

--Timetable--

Registration and Composition: July 13th to July 30th @ 10pm PST
Results will be submitted to Equestria Daily on July 31st
I know it’s the middle of the week, but it gives you 2 weeks and 4 days, extra time you may need.

--How to Register--

To register, you need to create an account on our forum mylittleremix.com
Once you have an account, go here: submission/list.php
Click on the event that you want to participate in and select Participate at the bottom of the list. Your name will be added to the list. You will then have the option to withdraw, or submit an entry.

--How to Submit--

Format: Remixer vs Remixed - Title of Track
e.g: Princess Celestia vs Twilight Sparkle - My Faithful Student’s Crazy Rave Party

1) Upload your song to YouTube.
2) Set the video as [Unlisted] as opposed to [Public] (You’re free to reveal it after July 30th)
3) In the description, post a link to the MP3 download, and a link to the original composer.
4) Submit your entry by clicking on the event here: submission/list.php
and clicking on Submit Entry

You need to fill out every field, including a direct download link. Only mp3 format will be accepted. Any other formats (such as .wav) will not be included in the download pack on Equestria Daily.

--Collaboration Challenge--

As with previous Remix Wars, there is a completely optional challenge track. The theme of this challenge is: create an original piece by collaborating with another brony; how you go about doing this is for you to decide. Will you try and find a brony that composes in a similar style to yourself, or will you try to blend two very different styles together?

Your love and tolerance will be put to the test as you cooperate with one another - soon you will find that sharing kindness is an easy feat! Remember that you won’t always get your way, be kind and understanding and make compromises where you can.
In the end, how you go about doing this is completely up to the both of you. This includes deciding who will submit the entry.

If you don’t want to collab with someone, you have the option of doing a second remix.

Of course, this is all done for fun, and you might even gain a new friend out of it!

If you are worried about how to find a fellow brony, don’t be! We have an accomplice-finding thread on our forum which will definitely come in handy!
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=154

We also have a thread for contact information, which you are free to use to contact and communicate with your brony-crony.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=78

Round III: FAQs

BRONY REMIX FAQ:
Q: Can I remix Daniel Ingram? Can I remix the show?
A: No. You can only remix another brony remixing the show.
Q: So it’s a remix of a remix of a remix?
A: Yes. The whole event is a bad Inception pun
Q: Who can I remix?
A: Anyone in the community! Participants or not. Just not the show directly.
Q: Can I remix a brony’s originals or just their remixes?
A: You can remix anything you like, as long as it was made by another brony, and their original song was pony related.
Q: I write metal, 8bit or something isn’t techno. Can I still participate?
A: Absolutely! We WANT people do take songs they like and put it in their own style.
Q: I need help, can I ask the person I’m remixing for audio stems or MIDI?
A: Yes you may, but it will still be up to the original author to share these or not. Usually they do.
Q: Can I remix myself?
A: What? No! Why would you ask that? This is about making friends, man!

CHALLENGE FAQ:
Q: So... a collab? Really? This is going to be a real cluster-cuss, you know.
A: We’re all bronies here, we all love and tolerate each other. You can handle it. Think of it as a social experiment.
Q: How are we supposed to collaborate? Is there a specific way how you want us to do this?
A: There are no specifics, this is up to the both of you to work out with each other. There is no right or wrong way. In the end, the song will be the product of both of your efforts.
Q: What if I can’t find a partner to collaborate with?
A: This challenge requires you to have a partner to work with. If you can’t find someone, you can do a second remix track instead.
Q: Can I collab with more than one other brony?
A: Yes, you can collab with as many bronies as you want, but be careful not to bite off more than you can chew since you are accountable to the people you collaborate with. Their success depends on your efforts.
Q: My partner doesn’t like any of my ideas and is taking charge of the whole song. What do I do?
A: There is no nice answer. Either pony-up and take it, or find a new partner. At some point you’ll need to learn how to work with other people who have different ideas than you. Make compromises, and put forth good effort to get along.
Q: No, seriously, he’s being a real jerk and it hardly feels like a joint-effort at all.
A: Be tactful and find a new partner. Not everyone you meet in the world (even in the brony community) is going to be a model citizen.

General FAQ:
Q: Can I go straight to the collab challenge and skip the whole remix thing?
A: Yes.
Q: Why do I have to register to your forum in order to participate? Can’t I be anonymous?
A: We’ve grown weary of the late nights sifting through hordes of emails and making frequent corrections by hand. This new process allows you to do everything yourself, including making corrections to your entries. We can even now export all of this information in bulk as HTML code, so the event will run smoother. Essentially, the entire event is now automated. Also, the forum will make communication and coordination with other brony musicians easy, considering the premise of this event.

Please, post any addition questions that you have here!
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Re: Remix War Round III

Postby NightColt » 12 Jul 2011 19:44

Uhm... which one do I sign up for? There's a Remix War III and a Remix War round III in the list.
I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES.

THAT IS ALL.
NightColt

Postby Makkon » 12 Jul 2011 19:53

We're just wrapping some things up, those are all test events. I'll let you know when it's ready. Sorry about the hold up.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The form is not complete yet, please do not attempt to register until tomorrow:

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Makkon » 12 Jul 2011 20:35

Added an additional FAQ at the bottom, I understand that this is a concern that several people have.

Q: Why do I have to register to your forum in order to participate? Can’t I be anonymous?
A: We’ve grown weary of the late nights sifting through hordes of emails and making frequent corrections by hand. This new process allows you to do everything yourself, including making corrections to your entries. We can even now export all of this information in bulk as HTML code, so the event will run smoother. Essentially, the entire event is now automated. Also, the forum will make communication and coordination with other brony musicians easy, considering the premise of this event.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Sabreon » 12 Jul 2011 21:07

Man, I would love to get in on this, but I'm not sure if I should, what with me currently going through my final term of High school...
Still figuring out the whole music production thing.
Currently unnamed, feel free to call me what you want.
Sabreon

Postby Makkon » 12 Jul 2011 21:27

There's always Round IV :]

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Pustulioooooo » 12 Jul 2011 21:28

Is the "You can't remix the same brony twice in one round" rule still in effect? :|
Contact Info/other sites
Projects:
SSE OST
On Deck:
Rainbow Factory Remix 1%
*Spoilers* -
Ballad of the Moon Goddess -
On Hold:
Celestian March (Soviet March Remix) 50%
LOADSAMAGIC -
Poker Night at the Library -
Pustulioooooo

Postby Makkon » 12 Jul 2011 21:47

Pustulioooooo wrote:Is the "You can't remix the same brony twice in one round" rule still in effect? :|

It's your choice, it might be a little taboo in some people's minds, but that rule is not longer in place. However, we would prefer that you remix other artists.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 12 Jul 2011 22:10

I just signed up for Q, which sounds like a great codename for Remix War Round III.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Dethonator » 12 Jul 2011 22:12

Perhaps this time I can get featured.
Dethonator

Postby Makkon » 12 Jul 2011 22:25

Supersaw Hoover wrote:I just signed up for Q, which sounds like a great codename for Remix War Round III.

You seriously made me LOL, XD

We now have submission open for Remix War Round III. PHPony just finished working out the kinks. He's made the whole submission form, and it works amazingly!!!

We are now adding a link at the top of the forum to Events.

Dethonator wrote:Perhaps this time I can get featured.

If you're in this event you're guaranteed to be featured. The only downside is there are a lot of other participants along side you, so you won't get quite as much attention as an exclusive feature on EQD.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby StarfireMoon » 13 Jul 2011 06:49

can we do collab remixes for the first one as well as a optional collab original?
StarfireMoon

Postby Interrobang Pie » 13 Jul 2011 07:22

That's actually a good question. There was a collab option for RWII, but you both had to sign up under one name. No one took that root, I believe.

When I was editing the document with Makkon last night I pretty much just copypasta'd the Q&A section from RWII (lol) and edited some of the questions. One of the questions I completely removed was the 'can I collab?' one.

The challenges have always been about making original pieces, anyway.

So, take it as a no collab remixes for now, but I will ask for Makkon's verdict.

EDIT: Are we ever gonna tell EqD about this???
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Makkon » 13 Jul 2011 16:51

StarfireMoon wrote:can we do collab remixes for the first one as well as a optional collab original?

That's a very good question, and none of us discussed that one before so we don't have an official answer. But in a sort of indirect way this answers your question:

Q: Can I collab with more than one other brony?
A: Yes, you can collab with as many bronies as you want, but be careful not to bite off more than you can chew since you are accountable to the people you collaborate with. Their success depends on your efforts.

So you are free to do so, but as mentioned above don't spread yourself thin, even if you're collabing with the same brony for both entries. Remember that you are limited to two entries.

I'm partial to Interrobang Pie's answer, since we don't want people to overload themselves, but if you can pull it off more power to you! I think the community has proven itself to be very fruitful and capable.

Interrobang Pie wrote:Are we ever gonna tell EqD about this???

Way ahead of you! :3

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Small Talk » 13 Jul 2011 17:44

I'm not really good with remixing on LMMS or FL Studios yet, but I was wondering if I could actually beatbox as a form of remix. It would most likely be a cover of the song, unless I collab with another artist, else I don't know how well it would work.
I'm a beatboxer. Either take or leave it, I've been doing it long enough so you can at least expect something somewhat good out of me~
Small Talk

Postby ArtAttack » 13 Jul 2011 18:12

Small Talk wrote:I'm not really good with remixing on LMMS or FL Studios yet, but I was wondering if I could actually beatbox as a form of remix. It would most likely be a cover of the song, unless I collab with another artist, else I don't know how well it would work.

Another good question. Does a "cover" count as a remix?
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby Makkon » 13 Jul 2011 18:28

To answer both of your questions, that's certainly acceptable. When I remix a song, I end up almost completely rewriting it. It just needs to bear some resemblance to the song and needs to be pony-related in the end.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Small Talk » 13 Jul 2011 18:33

Sounds great! I guess I'll register and start working on a cover, and hopefully a brony wouldn't mind collabing with a beatboxer :D
I'm a beatboxer. Either take or leave it, I've been doing it long enough so you can at least expect something somewhat good out of me~
Small Talk

Postby MyLittleJosieph » 13 Jul 2011 21:17

Ooh, I'd love to do a collaboration. I'm currently working on a "Battle for Equestria" song that contains only the orchestra parts. I hope this is enough motivation to get me to actually finish the song.

Sneak Peak containing only rough clips:
Bigonkers!

Current Projects
the Harmonizer Projects
Harmonizer Project #1: Mother Changeling

Current Style
Loud
Obnoxious
MyLittleJosieph

Postby Kumquaticus » 14 Jul 2011 09:05

Unfortunately, I think I'll sit this round out until I actually get some pony-related tracks out there.
Life is good. Life is short. Have some fun and enjoy it while it lasts.

My bandcamp
My SoundCloud
My Tumblr
Kumquaticus

Postby UnderpΩny » 14 Jul 2011 09:31

So, on Youtube can we title the track with Remixer befriends Remixed, like last time, rather than Remixer vs Remixed? It seems more brony-ish.
Also, will a private Soundcloud download link be ok?
UnderpΩny

Postby Raider310 » 14 Jul 2011 13:26

Yay, my music making PC broke last time so I couldn't upload it, gonna make soem changes and upload this time around!
Raider310

Postby General Mumble » 14 Jul 2011 17:52

Okay, I have to ask this, since, well, I just have to.

I've started my remix, and it's coming along nice and smooth. BUT, it's a remix of more than one brony, and by that I don't mean it's two songs mashed together, but I'm remixing something from the last remix war.

So, if it's all good, I guess the title will end up like Remixer befriends remixed befriends remixed (or something).

This inception stuff is messing with my brian.
Something, something, ponies.
Something, something, friendship.
General Mumble

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Poo

Postby Eurobeat Brony » 14 Jul 2011 17:54

Uh, I've already finished my entry. Do I just submit it or wait until the 30th?
Eurobeat Brony

Postby zorg » 14 Jul 2011 18:40

Eurobeat Brony wrote:Uh, I've already finished my entry. Do I just submit it or wait until the 30th?

You can submit it now, i think.
^feel free to disregard | genres... what are those? | :3
[collabgeddon] - too much time passed for this
Do feel free to keep in touch through discord: #zorg "eight" "rod" "inverted-E" "four"
zorg

Primary: ILyEAN (v0.0.0.0) [Designing Phase]
Cutie Mark: Usually Invisible

Next

Return to Remix War