So how DO you seperate show audio from BGM for MLP?

Post Midis, project files, samples, stems, here. Also great place to request collaboration or specific files/sounds.

So how DO you seperate show audio from BGM for MLP?

Postby Freewave » 06 Oct 2012 10:59

As everyone and there mothers knows (HOPEFULLY) there is a whole archive of show dialogue audio for download on http://www.mlptf2mods.com/create/reference-materials that is seperated from the background music so its a clean acapella and dialogue. It's an amazing resource and likewise when a show tune comes out people will also have this acapella and also sometimes the show instrumental from the other channels it's similarly split from. I'm not sure WHO does these but I wish we had a chance to thank this mysterous mare.

What unfortunately has occured during season 1+2 is that this dialgoue to sample from doesn't necessarily come out as quickly as it can. There was often a 3 week or so delay from new episode to dialogue release via this site and that often made it impossible for many people to sample from that week's show and do a Toast Beard response (1 week to come up with a track) many times. Sometimes acapellas would come from other sources and show up on mlr sooner.

I know what is essentially done is that center channnel in the show's audio is seperated from the back and side channels which is where the dialogue is focused at. I assume this is done either from rip directly from the tv source or via the itunes downloadable file (vs from a youtube upload) But I want to know if anyone can provide some info on HOW to do this process so that people can replicate these efforts and possibly get at that dialogue to sample on the same week that a show episode premiers (since Season 3 is NOT that far away). It's great to have this provided by whomever is doing this but i think it would be best to share knowledge of this process so there's little to no delay at all and more people able to do that work. :geek:
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: So how DO you seperate show audio from BGM for MLP?

Postby MRPPony » 06 Oct 2012 13:25

[Edit: Dammit, wont let me resize. I have to go but I'll reup them when I get back.]

Hmm, I'll show you how I do it but remember I'm still roughly new to this so I'm not entirely sure what every setting here does. I learned from trial and error and just messing about.

For this tutorial, I'm using Adobe Audition.

Make sure you make a copy of the episode you want to edit (I'll explain why later)
Import it and it'll take a bit of time to finish.

This is for extracting the BGM (no acapella)

Next, double click just the audio part and go to Effects>Stereo Imagery>Center Channel Extractor

You don't have to, but its an easy starting point to use the presets. Acapella and Vocal Remove.

For just extracting the audio and no acapella, use Vocal remove. The Discrimination tab shows you a bunch of settings you can mess around with. This is pretty much where I'm at a loss from what does what, but...
Crossover Bleed: I've noticed it sorta kills that 'phaser' sound you hear sometimes when you're doing this sort of stuff.

Phase Discrimination: Chooses what particular part of the audio you want to amplify. I know it sounds weird but once you mess around with it, you'll hear what I'm talking about.

Spectral Decay Rate: This gets rid of the phase noise you hear but also removes some of the audio.

Sadly, amp discrimination and amp bandwidth i'm not entirely sure what they do. I fiddled around with them and they make the same type of changes phase discrimination does. I'll have to read about them more on.

There's an advanced part on the bottom: FTT Size and Overlays. You change this to how many times you want this effect to overlay the audio. I usually just turn them to max but warning, it can cause your computer to go really slow on some old machines. I tested this on my old Dell Inspiron and it almost died. Anyway, usually overlaying it a lot helps clean up the audio a bit.

Hit Apply and take a listen:
http://www.mediafire.com/?svy6vieltcds922
I amplified it a bit, but as you can hear, its just the BGM. That's the easiest part. The acapella is where the nightmare is.

This is for extracting the Acapella (no BGM)

For the acapellas, what I first do is go to Effects>Special>Vocal Enhancer.
This will enhance the vocals according to the settings Male, Female, or Music. For a cleaner anything, do this first then begin messing with the Stereo Imagery. Most of the phase noise will be removed if you do this.

Anyway, instead of choosing the Vocal Remove preset, choose Acapella. This one you'll want to do fine adjustments to them since they're more 'sensitive' than the BGM. For this tutorial though, I kept everything at a preset (minus the overlays) and this is how it sounds:
http://www.mediafire.com/?l1sn301s13z8kl1

The music is still there, so now (actually I just found this out while I was writing this tutorial and decided to mess about) go to Effects>Amplitude and Compression>Speech Volume Leveler. For this, these are the settings I used: Image

And this is the final result:
http://www.mediafire.com/?r8p8o5a9eo5edi3

So basically, to get a clean rip, you'll have to do these settings again and again. One pass usually wont be enough, but sometimes it can. Its never really clear since the mixing and mastering will never be the same for each episode, but hopefully this guide will give you a general idea.

Note: The only downfall of this part is the fact that sometimes, rather almost all the time, the bass end will be gone. So instead, use the Multi-Track.

On the top left, click the Multitrack tab and it'll prompt you for a new session.

Once you've saved it, make a copy of the episode (Episode 3 - Original, Episode 3) and import both of them. Move the original to the top, and the one you want to edit most to the bottom.

From here, you do everything I explained on the top except any vocal enhancer or speech amplify you do on one, do to the other. Otherwise it wont work so remember the settings you use. It saves the settings as (Custom) but sometimes it doesn't so can't always rely on that. For the audio you want to edit, remove the vocals so its just the BGM.

When you're done, go to Effects>Invert on the audio you've edited and there you have it.

Here's my final result: http://www.mediafire.com/?k2y69xigzkgkuws

You can choose to do this first then add any sort of enhancers after the fact because it'll be less confusing, but that's still a risk of getting rid of the lower frequencies. Mind you, unless you have direct access to the music and acapella, you'll never get a perfect rip. Even on the MLP mods you can hear faint sounds of music, and plenty of sound effects. Although, most people don't mind so long as there's no music in the bg to clash with their song's chord progressions.

Anyway, hope you found this tutorial useful. I'll be practicing this more so when S3 comes out, I can help contribute.
I am Magical Rainbow Pegasus Pony and this is my music. Lets not fuck about. X3
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My EQBeats
MRPPony

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Blank flank ftw

Postby Freewave » 06 Oct 2012 14:27

^ that was so awesome!! thanks so much.

Guess I'll to pick up Audition to try this tutorial (unless someone has a completely different tutorial for a different software, which would be appreciated too).

Now are you doing this from an itunes version of the episode or how are you getting the original episode video??
Freewave

Postby MRPPony » 06 Oct 2012 15:07

Sadly, no. There's a DMRI on the iTunes version so you can't import it or convert it, so I had to use Camtasia to record my desktop and the audio and rendered it as high of a quality as I could. You can just as easily use Audacity to record the stereo mix....in fact....yeah why didn't I just do that? Could've saved an extra 6GB of space.

You can choose to dl it as well. I'm not noticing any audio difference between the two.
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My EQBeats
MRPPony

Postby Freewave » 06 Oct 2012 15:13

But ripping a youtube upload or capturing it in audacity wouldn't work as the 5.1 sound is lost into a basic stereo mix making extraction impossible, correct?
Freewave

Postby MRPPony » 06 Oct 2012 23:20

I believe so. Extracting the 5.1 that is. Maybe there's a program out there to get rid of the DRMI so you can directly extract it, but I don't know of any program that can do that.
Oh, did you wanted to make some 5.1 surround tracks?

Edit: Actually, if you're using a surround sound system, the computer sound mix might not be stereo, although the problem will be finding a program that records surround sound and not stereo, since Audacity only records mono and stereo.
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My EQBeats
MRPPony

Return to Sharing is Magic